UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2017, 8:49 pm   #21
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: LNB speaker

Hi Mike

Now you mention it, in the early 80's bought hifi from Derek Whittington who ran Sound Advice from the first floor at the Sound Factory. I remember him saying that there was a speaker manufacturer on the ground floor. Coincidentally, my father in law grew up in Duke St. in the 30's. Small world...

BVWS committee chairman
Old 6th Mar 2017, 12:29 am   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBAudio View Post
We started in the cellar at home, with my wife winding copper wire onto ferrite rods at the kitchen table!
No too dissimilar beginnings to Wharfedale Speakers, according to an article I read. In that case, Mrs Briggs hand wound the voice coils I believe.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 6:43 am   #23
LNBAudio
Triode

Yes, my family bought amps, CD players, etc from Derek too. The housing was still on Duke Street when we were there, since rebuilt as commercial premises.

Winding coils by hand...mighty oak trees from little acorns...

Regards
Mike
Old 7th Mar 2017, 6:48 am   #24
LNBAudio
Triode

Thanks for your questions, they've brought back some great memories.
If anybody has any technical questions about hi-fi, especially from that era, please ask. I've been known to home-build amps, experiment with cross-overs, cabling and speaker connectors, etc.

Regards
Mike
Old 17th Mar 2017, 10:55 pm   #25
clksteve
Retired Dormant Member

That's all very interetsing. I'm local to mansfield and remember Sid Booths record shop fondly, although it was the sutton in ashfield branch that was local to me.
When a friend visited me recently he noticed the LNB speakers and announced " Those speakers were made for Sid Booths!" His dad was a dj back in the 70's and he remebered the speakers from visits to Sid Booths with his dad.
The guy that gave them to me was also a dj back then and lived in the Ashfield area.
It all ties in nicely and the speakers have'nt moved more than 3 miles in 40 odd years.
Old 19th Mar 2017, 2:06 pm   #26
LNBAudio
Triode

@clksteve
Thanks for the PM, I didn't know that there was a Sutton-in-Ashfield branch; I only ever saw Sid at Mansfield. Every day is a school day!

The LNB Mansfield was exclusively supplied to Sid Booth, other LNB models were supplied to various dealers around the UK

Sid Booth kept stock of the Phillips unit, John North, an employee of Sid Booth, fitted the units.
We designed, made and supplied an assembled cabinet. That design didn't need either a crossover or absorbent material. That Phillips unit was a dual-concentric unit; in essence a combined HF and bass unit

Regards
Mike
Old 19th Mar 2017, 5:30 pm   #27
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

That super Philips speaker was not really a dual concentric as such - it was a full range speaker using a whizzer/tweeter cone. Very efficient and with no dreaded crossover to worry about!
Old 24th Apr 2017, 1:55 pm   #28
3squareaudio
Retired Dormant Member

Hello LNBAudio.
I was talking only yesterday, 23/4/17, with Philip Ashton, technical officer with the FRMS about LNB.
I'm Stuart Dunn of 3 Square Audio and I worked at AT Labs Enfield where we sold your excellent speakers.
I was 16 years old then, 1981, and your designs were as neutral sounding as the LS3/5a and Spendor BC1.
I remember you visiting the shop and that your name was Mike but thought you were from Yorkshire, for some reason.
Philip Ashton used your speakers for some years, purchased from Acoustic Arts.
Lovely to know you are still around.
I will send a link of this to Philip as well.
All the best.
Stuart.
Old 24th Apr 2017, 6:39 pm   #29
LNBAudio
Triode

Hello Stuart
Thanks for your contact, I'll ring you
Regards
Mike
Old 24th Apr 2017, 6:46 pm   #30
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: LNB Audio Loudspeakers

Hello Mike,
I posted a comment on this thread last year, regarding how good my Paralab Supers had been, but that they were now, (at that time), defunct, due to the suspension having deteriorated.
I'm pleased to say that I rebuilt them last month, replacing both drivers.
I have to say that they sound magnificent again. Not bad for something I bought new in 1973.

Many thanks to you & your original team, your speakers are sounding as good as new, and have stood the test of time! The tuned line is till a great design.

Dave.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 8:03 pm   #31
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffe View Post
Since it's marked with only the 12NC-code number(no 9710 marking),it has to be a somewhat later 9710M/01 from the 70's.
7-69 AH is an indication of an early made 9710M/01.
If it's of any great importance.
i have a 9710 with a 1964 date code

these can handle no more than 10 watts i think
Old 8th Jul 2017, 6:11 pm   #32
qualityten
Octode

I also have a pair of these speakers, found years ago in a charity shop in Andover. My cabinets are just marked LNB and I knew nothing about them apart from what can be found in the Hifi Yearbooks between 1966 and 69. I attach a pic of the interior and a closeup of the Philips driver markings.

I would be interested to learn more about the folded tunnel design. Thanks to Mike of LNB Audio for posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	145863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	145864  
Old 8th Jul 2017, 10:22 pm   #33
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There are others who can give more insight as to the folded horn design, but I can assure the OP that the 8.5" Philips twin cone, high flux, speaker is one of superb performance and I can understand why it was chosen. Note the undampened enclosure, quite deliberate a part of the design to ensure a smooth air flow.
Old 9th Jul 2017, 8:39 pm   #34
qualityten
Octode

Thanks Edward. They do sound good. When I opened up mine to take the picture, I found a small amount of damping material in the top area, but have removed it now. These speakers sound good with vintage valve amps.
Old 11th Jul 2017, 6:44 pm   #35
LNBAudio
Triode

Hello

I'm Mike's son and I've asked him about the latest posts, although he hasn't seen the images.

The speakers bought by qualityten are almost certainly LNB Mansfields because they were the only type designed for the Philips unit (which isn't properly dual concentric, as pointed out above).

The cabinets were designed by Ian North (the N in LNB) who is sadly no longer with us. They are based on the exponential horn principle, and one or two other principles as well!

To "fit" an exponential horn into a cabinet is sometimes difficult due to dimensions, and Ian developed a system that he nicknamed "bagpipes", and it worked well. The open base was a weaker construction but the loudspeaker sold and they have stood the test of time

Regards
Mike
Old 12th Jul 2017, 10:08 pm   #36
qualityten
Octode

Hi Mike (son). Thank you for taking the trouble to consult your father and give further information about these LNB speakers. Having the term 'exponential horn' to search takes me further than before.

It is rather special to be still able to use and enjoy the creative work of people who are no longer with us in person.
Old 13th Jul 2017, 11:44 am   #37
Mgmaudio
Tetrode

Small concerns building Loudspeakers seem to thin on the ground these days.
I have a small business, MGM Audio, and I have built speakers based around the BBC LS3/5a.
I also built an LS3/5a Kit supplied by Falcon Acoustics in 2014.
Restoring speakers is the biggest part of my business.
I've recently refurbished a pair of prototype Dynatron speakers from the 1970s.
They use Philips bass/mid drivers with Audax tweeters.
Dynatron decided not to put them into production as the design was expensive to produce.
Up until Philips took over Dynatron, Goodman's drive units were used in virtually all Dynatron Loudspeakers.

M G Miles
Witney
Oxfordshi.
Closed Thread