UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2017, 8:06 pm   #1
RetroRock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips midi F1675 problem

Hi
I just tried to play a record on it after a week of none use, and for some reason no sound came from the right speaker.
I have checked and found when I fiddle with the wires on the back of the needle head, the speaker comes back for a minute. I do not think it is a loose wire but wanted advice.
Also does anyone know how to take the needle arm off, so I can look at it better?
Thanks.
Old 20th Apr 2017, 8:34 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips midi F1675 problem

I wouldn't take the arm off, you may end up with more trouble than you have now!

Can't find any photos of that model on the net, could you post a picture of the arm, preferably with a shot of the underside, so we can see the cartridge connections?
Old 21st Apr 2017, 12:35 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Image from Google, but I'm not sure it helps much. By needle head, I assume you mean cartridge (the black item on the end of the pickup arm). Your description points to a poor connection in this area. Does the cartridge slide out on a plug-in carrier?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_1_8441429.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	141265  
Old 21st Apr 2017, 10:00 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This is a Budget unit and I think the cartidge is just fixed on with 1/2" centre bolts. Try delicately removing and then re-fixing each of the 4 push-on connectors at the rear of the pick-up cartridge ("needle head") with fine tweezers as oxidisation may have occurred. Be gentle in this process as further damage could easiliy occur. A magnifying glass will help.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 6:50 pm   #5
RetroRock
Retired Dormant Member

OK. I tried to remove the wires but they were too tight or too corroded on, so I used contact cleaner, and that seemed to help. Thanks for the advice.
I also found the speaker wire at the back was loose, I fixed that as well.

On a side note, I have just got a new vinyl record, one of the 180 gram ones. From what I noticed the player needs to have the volume turned way up to hear this at a reasonable level when compared to any of my older records. Is this common, or is there something up?
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 11:04 pm   #6
Records
Hexode

I have 3 new pressings under the Intempo label, I have not noticed any difference in volume. Is the vinyl you have from a modern artist? as mine are Elvis and 1960's compilation re pressings. Maybe this has something to do with it?
Old 24th Apr 2017, 9:01 pm   #7
RetroRock
Retired Dormant Member

It is lazeretto by jack white
I have noticed that overall that the volume seems to need a bit more volume, so i think i will just give all the connectors a good clean that i can get to
Closed Thread