UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2017, 5:58 am   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default Avo 8 mk 5 lucky chance

I've wanted one of these for my collection for some time but prices have gone very high here in New Zealand ($100+ for a good example). So when one appeared on the local internet auction site I took a chance on it. Unfortunately, and I'm sure this happens elsewhere, while the vast majority of traders are honest and upfront there are a small hard core of people determined to get their hands on your money by any means possible. Thus goods are artfully arranged in pics so damage is not seen, are always in 'excellent condition' (despite all the wax having boiled out of the transformer in the pic of it) and 'work well' (despite no valves or speaker visible in the radio) - in short out and out dishonest liars.

I noticed the seller had a couple of feedback items along this line out of several hundred, but went ahead anyway. Because of her feedback the bidding was less than fierce and I won it for half the normal going price. Sure enough on arrival despite assurances it was 'clean inside' a battery had obviously leaked given the corrosion visible. Cleaned that up put in new battery and it's as dead as a doorknob on ohms scale although DC volts and amps worked. Thought 'oh no the dreaded mains across the ohm range accidental fryup' but there is a fuse in the circuit and so worth checking. Fuse was open circuit so replaced it but really did not have much hope. To my delight the whole instrument is now working perfectly and reading correctly!!

So sometimes, despite the odds you can get lucky!!!
Closed Thread