UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2017, 11:58 am   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Cossor OM series valves, were these made by Mazda?

Those octal based Cossor OM series valves do seem to have a Mazda look about them, the question is were these valves actually made by Ediswan-Mazda?
The examples I've chosen to start the discussion are the OM10 and the Mazda TH41.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cossor_OM10.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	141012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cossor_TH41.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	141013  
Old 15th Apr 2017, 12:11 pm   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Cossor OM series valves, were these made by Mazda?

I was pondering that question last night when I discovered that the heater in a Mullard EF39 in my Eddystone 640 was not glowing. It may have been caused by an invisible corrosion of the valve base pins.

The Mazda OM6 is apparently a direct equivalent.

Has anyone compared the two valves in a valve characteristics meter?
Old 15th Apr 2017, 12:12 pm   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

A good question.
The shape is similar but on a Mazda the screening coating overlaps the base, but not on a Cossor.
Obviously the base is different, Mazda octal and international octal and also the Mazda top cap is larger.
Where was the Cossor valve factory?
Old 15th Apr 2017, 12:18 pm   #4
Leon Crampin
Octode

These valves were all made by Mullard and most carry the give away factory code on the base. The OM10 is an ECH33/5 with grey metallising. Mazda valves of this vintage have MO bases and 4V heaters with a large top cap connection.

Does "OM " stand for octal mains? I bought some OM5C (EF37A) devices at audiophool defeating prices.

Leon.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 2:45 pm   #5
tri-comp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Crampin View Post
I bought some OM5C (EF37A) devices at audiophool defeating prices.
Leon.
I have the Cossor OM5 which is a close equivalent of the EF36, i.e. NOT the low-noise, low-microphony variant.
Now, my question is if the OM5C actually IS the exact equivalent of EF37A with all it's improvements over EF36 ?
I would imagine the price on the OM5C should be a lot lower than that of the EF37A.

I checked the NOS Cossor OM5 in my B&K 667 valve emission-tester and it measureres EXACTLY like a NOS Mullard EF37A that I have in stock.
The EF37A's I have were bought from Watford Valves many years ago before prices ran wild. Too bad I didn't buy more at the time.....
Old 17th Apr 2017, 9:58 pm   #6
Leon Crampin
Octode

From the Mullard data I have here, the EF36, 37 and 37A all have the same electrical characteristics. I can deduce from the data that the EF37 was a development of the 36 for low microphony, and the 37A was a further development to give low hum - achieved with a spiral wound heater as in the later AF amplifier devices such as the EF86.

Mullard give the equivalents as follows:

EF36 = OM5
EF37 = replaced by EF37A
EF37A = OM5A, OM5B

I can find no reference anywhere to the OM5C but it's obviously a later development and has identical characteristics to the EF37A.

There's one final possibility. Mullard did produce an electrometer amplifier based on the EF37A coded Mxxxx. I'll try to look this up. It was clearly the same device, probably selected for very low grid current which was characterised in the data. It would then be a fair assumption that the Cossor device would be coded as the OM5C.

Any comments of course are welcome.

Leon.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 10:02 pm   #7
Leon Crampin
Octode

Found it - it's the ME1400.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0185.htm

Leon.

Last edited by Leon Crampin; 17th Apr 2017 at 10:19 pm.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 4:54 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Two Cossor OM6 (EF39) valves and a Mazda TH41. The bulb of the OM6 on the left is of identical shape and dimensions of those of the Mazda TH41.
The other OM6 is slightly shorter but still has that Mazda look about it. Also, the style of the print in the Cossor valve looks very Mazda.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OM6.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	141214  
Old 19th Apr 2017, 5:06 pm   #9
Cobaltblue

It depends a lot on when the valves were made.

Originally Cossor made its own valves in house.

1943 The company moves its valve and CRT business into a new wholly owned subsidiary Electronic Tubes Ltd (ETEL) based at High Wycombe.

1949 EMI purchases ordinary (voting) shares in ETEL, and takes management control. Cossor retains an investment in ETEL, purchasing its valve requirements from EMI and from MOV, which was jointly owned by EMI and GEC.

1956 Cossor disposes of its holding in ETEL sometime after 1956, and withdraws from valve and CRT manufacture.

1958 Cossor sells its radio and television business to Philips

Cheers

Mike T
Old 30th Apr 2017, 10:47 am   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have just discovered this 'Cossor' OM6. It looks like a Marconi or even an original Cossor bulb. The BVA certainly worked in mysterious ways. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OM6.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	141776  
Old 30th Apr 2017, 3:35 pm   #11
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi John,
that's an odd looking thing. Could it be a Tungsram valve? The valves designed by Tungsram in Hungary always looked a bit different.

DFWB.
Closed Thread