UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2017, 10:40 am   #1
Ferrograph
Triode

Default NAB Centres

Excuse me before I go mad but... I had assumed that the centres of 10.5" reels of 6.25mm (what used to be 1/4") audio tape (what we used to call NAB tape centres) were roughly 3 inch holes.

Well, I just bought a 10.5" reel from the web to find it measured around 86.5mm across. Quite a bit more than the 76mm it would be for a 3" fit. Now I still have an old 2" video tape spool and I thought I measured that at around 76mm across the centre hole (it is lent out at the moment so I can't double check). I also have a PDF of an old NAB document that appears to say the centres should be 3 inches for 1/4 inch tape.

Were there two different sizes of what I am calling NAB centres? What is going on? All answers gratefully received.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 1:30 pm   #2
Amraduk
Hexode

Default Re: NAB Centres

All of the 10.5" NAB spools I have are 3" diameter. I've never come across any that are 86.5mm diameter.

Regards,

Dave.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 2:06 pm   #3
brenellic2000
Octode

NAB is 3" dead; you odd size is almost certainly data-recorder or an instrumentation tape-recorder.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 2:35 pm   #4
Ferrograph
Triode

Thanks for checking Dave, that's a huge help.
Old 17th Oct 2017, 8:43 pm   #5
red16v
Heptode

I have a Scotch VT tape spool on my wall (I used to work in VT and kept one to convert into a rather natty looking clock). The inside diameter is 76mm - just for future reference.

Ps - may I ask why you’ve loaned your reel out? Just curious.
Old 18th Oct 2017, 7:20 pm   #6
Ferrograph
Triode

No problem Red16v. Mine is loaned to someone who works in a school. A piece of tangible history. Will be back soon I hope.

By-the-way, should thank brenellic2000 as well. Good suggestion.
Old 18th Oct 2017, 7:56 pm   #7
mitajohn
Pentode

Here's an NAB hub removed from a 10.5", 1/4" tape reel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NAB_HUB.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	150993  
Old 18th Oct 2017, 11:10 pm   #8
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrograph View Post
No problem Red16v. Mine is loaned to someone who works in a school. A piece of tangible history. Will be back soon I hope.

By-the-way, should thank brenellic2000 as well. Good suggestion.
If only you had the quad machine to go with it - now that would make them sit up at school and rub their eyes!
Closed Thread