UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2012, 11:01 pm   #1
radiobloke
Triode

Default Roberts R200 and similar coverings

This may seem a silly question, but what is the material on the outer case called?

Not the simulated leather rubbery stuff which seems to generally be referred to as leathercloth, but the paper'y material.

I have a red R200 which looks like it went through a nuclear blast, there’s only a few scraps left, and it’s covered in paint too. However it’s all there and would be an interesting project to restore as a keeper for the shelf.

Also, I guess if anyone knows a good place to get some, that would be great.

Many thanks in advance, radiobloke.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:41 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R200 and similar coverings

Probably "Rexine"

http://www.vintage-radio.com/trg/trg4.gif
Old 10th May 2012, 3:13 am   #3
whyperion
Hexode

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8191
Old 10th May 2012, 4:25 pm   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

If its a paper based material, then it isn't Rexine or 'leathercloth'. Have you tried asking Roberts themselves?

Barry
Old 10th May 2012, 5:47 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Sid Chaplin does (or used to) a paper backed "rexine". I used it to cover a gramophone, and found that it was far better than the traditional cloth backed stuff, as it was so much thinner, and therefore the joins on the corners were much less obvious. In the event that there has to be an overlap, once everything is dry, firm pressure with a piece of rounded dowel, or the round end of a screwdriver over the overlap makes it practically invisible. I initially thought that being paper backed, it wouldn't wear very well, but the PVA adhesive used to fix it makes the paper backing much stronger.

Barry (the other one!)
Old 10th May 2012, 7:39 pm   #6
radiobloke
Triode

Thanks for all the replies gang, I've had a look at the links and they seem to sell the leathercloth or rexine, which seems to be the same thing, but still haven't found the paper cloth. I'll give roberts a shout and see if they can put a name to it.

I'll post here if I get a reply from them. All the best, radiobloke.
Old 10th May 2012, 7:48 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

And do ask Sid too
Old 10th May 2012, 8:03 pm   #8
radiobloke
Triode

Ooh, just had a look at the http://www.vintage-radio.com/trg/ bit on here for him and he does do some nice looking stuff, will fire off a message to him too.

One of the R250's I have is covered in the stuff, so it must still be available.

Have sent off a message to Roberts, we'll see what comes back.

radiobloke.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:55 pm   #9
Scottart
Pentode

I've used this bookbinding supply company in the past :

http://www.ratchford.co.uk/allProduct.aspx

Very helpful, with a large range of materials. No connection, just a satisfied customer

Stephen
Old 12th May 2012, 8:29 pm   #10
whyperion
Hexode

One colour / style that I cannot seem to see is the white 'dotty' designs , on blue red or green backgrounds , I will ask but if anyone knows from other sources that will be useful to me.
Old 13th May 2012, 7:31 am   #11
musonick
Retired Dormant Member

Looking at the R200 would imagine the 'white, papery stuff' is what remains of the rexine backing and glue residue. It becomes very brittle.

For custom finishing I have used 'oil cloth'. It is a bit heavy to work with but comes in all sorts of designs, printed and plain. Try eBay for a selection.

Bookbinding 'Rexine', in particular the paperbacked stuff, I have found to be excellent to use and gives a nice, sharp finish. See my photos of a Dansette Challenge finished in bookbinding Rexine.
For a heavier finish, like the Roberts R26, Tolex would be ideal. This is the stuff used on Marshall amps.

Nick.
Old 15th May 2012, 7:32 am   #12
brenellic2000
Octode

I hate to be overly pedantic, but 'Rexine' is (or was!) a registered trade name for a cellulose acetate type coated leather-cloth with a linen (or woven) backing... some call it 'oiled-cloth' as it is preceived to be of the same genre or style.

The book binders' material is a PVC coated paper, not 'Rexine'. It's like calling a Mini a Rolls Royce, as they are both cars and both come from BMW! Or a certain Jaguar model, a Ford Mondeo....

Just thought I'd mention it (and with apologies to Rolls Royce and Jaguar).

Barry
Old 15th May 2012, 8:02 am   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Good point. Presumably genuine Rexine is no longer available?
Old 15th May 2012, 11:25 am   #14
brenellic2000
Octode

They stopped making 'Rexine' years ago, then made a short new batch... I believe a close match is back in production. The beauty of 'Rexine' was that, like oiled-cloth, it was very weather resistant and was thus widely used in the carriage/coach-building trade.

Leather-cloth was similar, but more flexible and with some stretch, and was mostly used in the upholstery trade (remember the spongy Amblair). Bookbinders used to use split skin, then coated cotton or paper which doesn't need to flex (except the spine, which was often leather).

Barry
Old 15th May 2012, 11:32 am   #15
radiobloke
Triode

Well, the book covering material does sound more like the thing I'm after, I've been off to haberdashers, upholsterers and art supplies shops with a radio and they have no idea what it is or have ever seen it before.

On a side note I have a genuine Mini Cooper s, not one of those BMW abominations, why they called it a Mini I will never know, it's huge.

Anyway, back on topic, I managed to find some of the faux leather vinyl in the dark green colour for one of the radios which has a bit with damage on it, but that is one of the much newer R606-MB variety and not the book cover type covering.

Seems odd that half the radios gramophones and the like, for the last 60 years have had this covering on it, yet it is so hard to pin down.

Whilst it’s not what I usually collect, I picked up a sweet little Vidor CN-429 personal attaché valve portable the other day at a car boot sale in a smashing speckled green colour of this paper book type material. I know I’m never going to see anything in this colour, so I’m going to have to carefully patch it up on the corners the old fashioned way with paint powder and a lot of patience.

radiobloke.
Old 15th May 2012, 11:40 am   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
They stopped making 'Rexine' years ago, then made a short new batch... I believe a close match is back in production.
Do you know where you can buy it, Barry?

And presumably the thinnish stuff used on Roberts R200s etc. was not Rexine then?

Nick.
Old 15th May 2012, 12:53 pm   #17
whyperion
Hexode

For Lady Margarets in all sorts of finishes http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/portables/v429VAR.htm

If you were in London there is a book binder materials shop in Southampton Row , but I dont know about Plymouth - might be worth trying some of the book-binding courses at adult education or can Plymouth College of Art help you ?
Old 15th May 2012, 1:41 pm   #18
brenellic2000
Octode

Nick,

Try Ratchford in the above link or one of the proper vintage car restoration suppliers such as Woolies (No, not Woolworth's 'Woolies') or Complete Automobilist - not sure if either are still in business.

'Rexine' may well have made a wide range and different grades to capitalise on their famous brand... it all depends on you want to use the oiled-cloth/leather-cloth/leatherette/American cloth/'Rexine' (TM)/vinyl/PVC coated paper/Buckram... for!

Radiobloke - any joy from Roberts/Dimplex/Glen... or whoever now owns them? And yes, I can't understand my BMW call their 'Mini' a Mini either. I'm waiting for them to bring out a 'Rexine' and wicker-work panelled 'Mini', Oh boy!

TTFN
Old 15th May 2012, 8:17 pm   #19
musonick
Retired Dormant Member

Yup...Rexine was a trademarked name....but we all know what we are talking about.....That stuff....mmmmmmmmmmm!

It is very difficult (almost impossible) to get an exact color/texture match on vintage reclothing, call it what you like.

Nick.
Old 16th May 2012, 8:00 am   #20
brenellic2000
Octode

... no that stuff wasn't called 'mmmmmmmmmmmmm' either !!

Just thought I would be helpful :-(
Closed Thread