UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2009, 4:27 am   #1
gareee2562
Retired Dormant Member

Default Humming noise question

What causes a humming noise and a electrical tingle in my fingers when i touch the metal under the tone arm?
Every now and then a loud static comes across the speakers then goes away when I shut off and turn back on the power switch.
Old 21st Nov 2009, 10:57 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Humming noise question

The humming noise is probably caused by 60Hz pickup in the cartridge wiring from the proximity of your fingers (the rest of your body has capacitive coupling to AC mains fields ).

The tingling suggests that the metal under the tone arm isn't grounded. This may or may not actually be a fault- it depends on the design of the record deck and amplifier system. Fingers can actually sense a slight tingling (as a sort of "stick-slip" feeling) at leakage currents well below any danger level. For safety's sake it would be prudent to have it checked, though.

The loud static noise IS a fault. Could be caused by various problems, though, so hard to suggest a cure without more information. Also a pain to sort if it's only intermittent 'cos it'll never happen while a tech is looking at it!

Chris
Old 21st Nov 2009, 4:08 pm   #3
gareee2562
Retired Dormant Member

I was thinking maybe I should change the cartridge wire all the way down to the amp?
I also noticed this hifi is a 2-prong power supply. Do you think it would be wise to install a 3-prong grounded cable.
This way the record changer is grounded as long as I attach the ground to the changer motor.
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 12:06 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

I would seek advice from an engineer in the USA. I know that in Britain and possibly Europe, some sets were made with their chassis connected to one side of the mains (They were designed with safety in mind though) and these should NOT be grounded

But I dont know what arrangements were made in the USA.
Closed Thread