UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2017, 6:05 pm   #21
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Dry solder wick anyone?

I find that a quick wipe with flux pen does wonders for old wick as others have said also I have found adding a bit of fresh solder to an area that is already a bit sparse seems to get the process going and the solder sucked up.
Chris
Old 11th Jul 2017, 6:15 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I will admit that a bit of fresh 60/40 full-lead solder added to a joint initially made with modern ROHS lead-free solder can help loosen things up a bit before going at it with the desolder-braid.

[For legal reasons I do not advocate this approach if the reworked assembly might possibly be returned to circulation on a commercial basis]
Old 11th Jul 2017, 6:33 pm   #23
chriswood1900
Octode

I was thinking only of leaded solder when I suggested it as I rarely work on modern equipment.
Chris
Old 11th Jul 2017, 6:43 pm   #24
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I've always found solder wick to be pretty useless, though that may be at least partly down to my lack of skill. I just use a solder sucker, or if removing components from a scrap board I blow the melted solder away with a straw.
I felt the same way until a few years ago, as I had always used a sucker. But solder suckers don't always clear out a 'through board hole' and the component lead can still be held by a stubborn bridge of solder.
As an experiment I took some coax braid, flattened it and rubbed in some flux. I was astonished at the way the braid pulled the solder out of the joint! There does seem to be a knack to it, though. I've found a good, hot iron is essential, or all you do is end up with the braid slowly cooking your fingers!