UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2016, 5:56 pm   #21
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Re: R1155 in Sunderland Flying Boats

Hopefully still within topic...

I live near a place called Largs on the West coast of Scotland where they used to launch and recover various amphibious aircraft including Sunderlands during and for a period after the war. The ramp is still there and is now used to launch private boats of various types.

Hope this of interest.

TimR

Last edited by flyingtech55; 21st May 2016 at 6:09 pm. Reason: Removed inconsequential information.
Old 21st May 2016, 6:25 pm   #22
G4YVM David
Heptode

Tim
My radio club is running a wee dxpedition to largs in July! Perhaps we should meet up...you could show us the sights

David
G4YVM
Old 23rd May 2016, 8:01 am   #23
trh01uk
Octode

Pete,

thanks for highlighting this museum. I've been to Pembroke lots of times, and never heard of it. Clearly its publicity is somewhat lacking.

I do wonder why they have a WS52 transmitter on display. I have no specific information, but I am rather doubtful whether such an equipment would every have been used in Sunderland flying boats. Nothing is impossible of course! However the WS52 was specifically used by the Army, typically in larger vehicles, since it needed a very hefty set of batteries to supply the 12V at 57A it needed on transmit with the key down. Its weight (the complete equipment of rack, case, receiver, transmitter and power unit) was around 280lb - I can't see that as welcome in any plane.

Richard
Old 24th May 2016, 9:55 pm   #24
russell_w_b
Dekatron

T1154 / R1155 and intercom amps A1134 were fitted to Sunderlands at the Shorts factory on White Cross Bay, Windermere. Radio communication was tested from base ('Bowser One') to aircraft sitting on the lake ('Bowser Two'). Emergency dinghy radios were also tested with the earth wire being dropped in the lake.

RADAR was fitted at various RAF MUs, being considered 'too secret' for factory installation.

All Sunderlands built on Windermere were Mk:III with Bristol Pegasus XVIII engines.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 28th May 2016, 11:25 am   #25
SteveCG
Nonode

Russell,

So White Cross Bay (when I was last in that part of the world in the 70s it was a caravan park) was a factory and not just an RAF base. - Interesting.
Old 31st May 2016, 12:17 am   #26
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Steve,

You need to read 'Wings on Windermere' by Allan King. The history of the Lake District's forgotten flying boat factory. ISBN 978-83-89450-82-1.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 31st May 2016, 1:33 pm   #27
SteveCG
Nonode

Thank you Russell for the recommendation.
Old 27th Jun 2016, 10:55 am   #28
RobinBirch
Hexode

Back in the day, when I grew up in Pembrokeshire. There was a Sunderland in Pembroke Dock, it's the one that's in the RAF museum. Playing in the hangars and round the dockyard was fantastic. There were still squadron crests on the walls of the offices and the like

Robin
Old 27th Jun 2016, 12:35 pm   #29
carnivalpete
Tetrode

It is pleasing to note the continued interest in the R1155/T1154 equipment I saw at the Pembroke Dock Heritage Centre, popularly known locally as the Sunderland flying boat museum. The Centre is there in order to bring together the raising and renovation for local display of a Sunderland Mk1 aircraft that sank nearby in a heavy storm during WWII. Visitors can watch volunteers carrying out restoration work on various parts of the aircraft as they are recovered. Such a project is extremely difficult, expensive and time consuming and the aircraft display is still incomplete but there is a large amount of other naval and air force material on display, including radio equipment. The radio equipment is rather more scattered around the Centre than I would like as the main interest is naturally the seaplane but I believe they do understand the additional attraction of the radio equipment as they saw an amateur Tx in action at a local celebration a few years ago.

It may be of interest to report that I got in touch with the Centre after my visit to make some suggestions:
1- increase publicity so that more County visitors would know they are there
2-bring the radio, navigation, DF equipment closer together as an important display
3-set up an amateur radio R1155/T1154 tx corner for use on special occasions
4-with the agreement of the contributor I also passed them a copy of the photograph of the Canadian radio operator.

I have had some encouraging responses from the Centre's management but we will have to see if it comes to anything. GL, pete
Old 28th Jun 2016, 10:22 am   #30
GW3OQK Andrew
Pentode

Pete, you could also tell the Centre their web site is quite uninformative and gives me no indication of there being something of interest for me.

On the other hand the Internal Fire Museum of Power at Tanygroes is wonderful, with an interesting web site. I was there at the weekend to operate GB2MOP in their radio room, then went to play music in a machine room. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkrFgSGdICM

73 Andrew
Closed Thread