UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2015, 12:31 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Radio Constructor

The amazing American Radio History website have now stArted a section for Radio Constructor:
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...r_Magazine.htm

They depend on donated loans/scans - this is such a useful way of making out of print material available.
Old 12th Apr 2015, 4:58 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio Constructor

Whilst not wishing to detract from the effort of that particular site, there is a splendid website with many Radio Constructor Articles and other stuff of interest, which is often updated, at the link below. A very useful feature is the Annual Indexes, so if you are searching for a particular article which you knew was in Radio Constructor in the 1970s but you aren't sure which year, you can track it down:

http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/radcon.htm

I often visit that site, and I'm sure many other forum members will be familiar with it, but some may not be. Well worth a mooch around it.
Old 12th Apr 2015, 5:24 pm   #3
greenstar
Octode

David, that is also a great site and I have often dipped into it.. The USA site scores also in being an archive of complete issues, including Wireless World and Practical Wireless, mindful of possible copyright issues in the UK. The American magazines there alone are a huge mine of material.
Old 12th Apr 2015, 7:21 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Yes indeed - 3 million pages online! The Radio Electronic series, which ran from 1948 - 1992, has only 7 issues missing, and each one runs to some 150 pages. What a remarkable effort. When looking at a Radio Constructor mag from the late 50s, at the 'Can Anyone Help'? column, it brought home how lucky we are today with internet. Queries such as: 'could anyone please copy or loan me a circuit for a ...' . How time change!
Old 13th Apr 2015, 12:07 am   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Re the American site, I cannot find anywhere on there which says they will accept scanned files as opposed to donating or lending the mag. Can anyone point me at the bit I'm missing?

B
Old 13th Apr 2015, 2:21 pm   #6
greenstar
Octode

bazz, I suggest you email David. I have done so several times with info on faulty scans, and he has always responded quickly. I am sure he will accept scans, as some of the mags have been scanned elsewhere, but he may need a particular format.
Old 14th Apr 2015, 11:41 am   #7
radiodavid
Diode

You are indeed correct on all accounts.

1. I will accept scans, and can set up a DropBox folder for any contributor who wants to assist in completing or expanding collections.

2. I prefer individual page scans at 300 dpi, TIFF or JPG (if JPG, prefer no more than "minimum" compression). I have some high end software to make compact PDFs with OCR so the bitmaps are much better for me.

3. I am always looking for reports of any bad links or other errors. This is a one-person endeavor so I am sometimes oblivious to my own mistakes.
Old 16th Apr 2015, 9:38 pm   #8
jim_jobe
Heptode

How do you want them scanned David - colour, greyscale or black and white?
Jim
Old 17th Apr 2015, 6:52 am   #9
greenstar
Octode

Jim, nearly all the documents on the website are in colour.
Old 17th Apr 2015, 10:56 am   #10
jim_jobe
Heptode

Right, I'll do colour.
Jim
Old 17th Apr 2015, 11:05 am   #11
jim_jobe
Heptode

David: Radio Constructor 1970 - there are two copies of the July issue and none for June on the website.The one under June is actually July.
Jim
Old 17th Apr 2015, 12:25 pm   #12
jim_jobe
Heptode

The same error applies to 1970,71 and 72 David; i.e.there are two copies of July and none of June.Also the copy labelled Jan 72 is actually 71.
Jim
Old 17th Apr 2015, 1:31 pm   #13
greenstar
Octode

Hi Jim, I suspect David doesn't check this thread frequently - I have been able to contact him quickly through the address on the American radio History website. If you can't find it there I can email to you.
best,
Tony
Old 17th Apr 2015, 2:52 pm   #14
jim_jobe
Heptode

Thanks Tony, I'll email him directly,
Jim
Old 19th Apr 2015, 8:20 pm   #15
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, does anyone know of a similar site for Electronic Engineering?
This was a professionals version of Wireless World, same publishers but much more technical.
I believe it ran from the mid 30's until the 80's when it had degenerated to an advertising mag.

Ed
Old 19th Apr 2015, 9:48 pm   #16
greenstar
Octode

Jim, that's brilliant, thanks from me for scanning those issues.
Tony
Old 19th Apr 2015, 10:48 pm   #17
jim_jobe
Heptode

You're welcome Tony. I have 99% of the whole run of RC so will gradually work through them.
Jim
Old 9th Aug 2015, 8:02 pm   #18
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

I can't thank Jim Jobe enough for making his collection of RC available on the American Radio History Website!

I used to get my back copies from Chevet Books in Blackpool but when the chip closed his shop & retired, I'd no idea where to get more!

I did get most (not all!) of the editions from March 1961 to Sept 1972 but a fire where they were stored destroyed them all and the chances of replacing them are nil!

Jim, I'm particularly interested in the series from 1970/1971 that used tons of bistables etc., to produce a clock display on three panel meters - I'd like to build this for my Dad who's interested in horology - could you upload this series when you get a chance please?

Chris Williams
Old 10th Aug 2015, 6:37 pm   #19
jim_jobe
Heptode

Hi Chris,
I won't be able to do all the large format RCs until the middle of September (apart from the odd copy) but I'll make a point of starting with 1970/71.
I've just sent the last of my small format RCs to David (for 1961) but haven't been able to find the following: 1949, November. 1950, Jan and Dec. If anyone has these issues can you please contact me?
Jim
Old 25th Aug 2015, 2:32 pm   #20
jim_jobe
Heptode

As of today all of the small format RCs are on the website, i.e. up to July 1961.
Many thanks to Dave Teague for filling in the last few gaps,
Jim
Closed Thread