UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2015, 4:18 pm   #1
Mark James
Hexode

Default BT Revelation

Please forgive my ignorance but I have only just acquired my first 2 vintage phones. I have converted both and they work 20 miles away (at my friends house who helped me). However on returning home both receive incoming calls but will not successfully dial out. Having looked on previous posts this would seem to be either my local connection to the exchange or that I am with Talk Talk - the solution to both appears to be a pulse to tone converter. I have been offered a BT Revelation. I know that this works on pulse or tone. My question is will this convert pulse from my phones to tone for the exchange line or does it only work on pulse in and pulse out or tone in and out?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 20th Apr 2015, 6:55 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: BT Revelation

The Revelation can be programmed to send either LD pulses or MF tones to an exchange line. This is independent of the type of signalling from an extension. So, yes, it will do what you are seeking. Equally, as with most electronic PABXes that support MF, it can be used to generate LD pulses on receipt of MF tones from an extension if so desired.
Old 20th Apr 2015, 7:02 pm   #3
Mark James
Hexode

Dave, Thank you for confirming what I hoped. I now have a plan, a solution and scope for more phones without the limitation of REN3!

Mark
Old 20th Apr 2015, 8:58 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

And you can make calls between extensions if you wish.
Old 21st Apr 2015, 8:24 pm   #5
mark_in_manc
Octode

I'm on Talk Talk with an old GPO pulse-dial phone which works in and out - so maybe it's your exchange. Sounds like you have a solution, though.
cheers
Mark
Old 21st Apr 2015, 9:42 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
The Revelation is a smashing bit of kit, albeit a bit of a pain to program though and you will require at least one system phone to do so.

I produced myself some "quick guides" you are welcome to them if I can locate them on my PC, I'm pretty certain that I also have the full installation and programming guides in pdf form hidden somewhere too as it's been a while since I used them. (Just PM me if you would like any of these)

One thing to be aware of is that when the exchange ports are set to pulse dial mode there will be no exchange dial tone presented to the extensions when accessing an "outside" exchange line by dialling 9 (or 5n if exclusive access required) you just dialled the number string and waited for ringing tone from the connecting exchange.

Regards

Andrew
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 9:17 am   #7
Mark James
Hexode

Andy, Thanks for the info. I will PM you.

Mark
Old 8th May 2015, 5:44 pm   #8
Mark James
Hexode

Revelation now up and running. Thanks to everyone for their help and particularly AndiiT. I fixed it to a board along with the master sockets for each line so that if necessary the whole assembly can be removed from the workshop wall as all the cabling can be easily unplugged. See attached photo.
Phones work fine both to each other and outside. I have run several extension wires around the house (under floors and in eaves so all concealed). All I need to do now is acquire some more vintage phones!!!!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Revelation.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	107970  

Last edited by Mark James; 8th May 2015 at 5:47 pm. Reason: Omission
Old 9th May 2015, 10:06 am   #9
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Looks a really good setup. I was thinking of doing something similar with my Revelation, so this has encouraged me to get it out of its box and get going!
I assume you run plug in leads direct from the sockets on the board to slave sockets in each of your rooms, or do you have exceptionally long line cords on your phones?
Old 9th May 2015, 5:39 pm   #10
Mark James
Hexode

Correct. The sockets on the board are all master sockets which are wired permanently to the CCU. The remainder of the wiring is all done with 2 pair telephone cable and simple plugs and couplers. I have wired the house with cables under floors etc (ie hidden so few domestic objections!). The end next to the CCU has a standard BT plug and at the far end another BT plug inserted into a straight wired double female coupler which was the cheapest option for being able to plug in phones without fixing boxes to the wall! (If you can find cheap single line sockets at a reasonable price then that would be better but I could not). The line in to the CCU is wired directly into the house master socket behind the removable plate. Where it reaches the CCU there is a simple plug and socket arrangement. All cables can therefore be unplugged and the board and CCU removed from the wall for easy maintenance on the bench.

Hope that this helps. The plugs and cable were from CPC and the couplers off the net from kenable.co.uk ( TE05843).

Mark
Old 9th May 2015, 6:14 pm   #11
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Many thanks Mark. I can now foresee a classic phone in every room in our house in the not too distant future. I have a number of system phones for the Revelation, but will probably use only one as the master/programming unit, as you appear to have done.

All I have to do now is to get those cables installed around the house while the wife is out........
Old 9th May 2015, 6:49 pm   #12
Mark James
Hexode

I found obtaining consent was easier when I pointed out that the Revelation and all the vintage phones could be disconnected from the existing system by unplugging the line from the house master box to the CCU! Also being able to conceal all the cabling was a major factor.

Mark
Old 10th May 2015, 12:16 pm   #13
vic0239
Tetrode

Would agree the Revelation is a very flexible once you get your head around the programming commands. I have a very similar setup with mine, affixed to a board with the sockets etc. Just three extensions around the house though, I use the others with some of my collection I have on display. I have also connected my Linksys SPA-3102 adapter to a second exchange line so I can make VoIP calls as well by dialling 52. The onboard music on hold is also pretty impressive, at least according to some callers who I have transferred to another phone extension!

Andy.
Closed Thread