UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2015, 2:08 pm   #41
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Poll; how many forum members have a Working Betamax?

The main differences are still picture and cue mode and remote control on the C7. I never noticed a switching supply, but it could very well have one.
Old 22nd Apr 2015, 6:44 pm   #42
Libratron
Pentode

Thanks guys.

Libra
Old 24th Apr 2015, 5:33 pm   #43
HurtyAC
Tetrode

Hi All,
I worked for Sony when these machines where current. The C5 was the cheaper machine and the C7 a top of the range machine. As has been said the C7 has a switch mode power supply and the C5 a linear supply. C7 came with an infrared remote control, C5 no remote (a wired remote could be bought as an optional extra) Full colour picture search on the C7 mono on the C5. Trick play modes on the C7 only (3 X play, still frame and variable slow motion). One of the other major differences is the C5 is manual tuning (pots) but the C7 has all electronic tuning including full automatic tuning, a revolution at the time. Its also something to see when you pause the video playback the machine moves the noise bars to the top/bottom of the picture! The video processing, servo and system control boards are almost identical as is the complete deck mechanism but there are different boards for the rest including the clock (battery backed on the C7). At the time I worked with them the C7 was one of the most complex video tape machines on the market. I loved working on them and still do today! in the form of the Broadcast Sony HDW 2000 and SRW 5000 both HD machines which still use the Betamax/Digibeta tape path almost unchanged.
Hurty
Old 27th Apr 2015, 2:29 am   #44
FrankB
Heptode

Last I tried it, I had one working, and some parts units.
Old 28th Apr 2015, 11:58 pm   #45
Diamond
Retired Dormant Member

I used to have a Sanyo, cannot remember the model, but I was sold a tape covered in oil, end of machine.
I then moved onto a Sony SL-HF950, had this for a few years until I sold it to a Scottish library. Wish I had kept it now.
Still have many Betamax tapes which I need to go through.
Closed Thread