UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2014, 4:49 pm   #1
bsrman
Retired Dormant Member

Default What type of rubber are most BSR platter mats actually made of?

Hi all, I was asking a maintenance question about platter mats here a little while ago but I never really got the answer to this question: Are most BSR platter mats made of natural rubber or some sort of synthetic rubber? Most record player decks have black mats but many BSR UA series decks (including the UA14) have white rubber mats. Is this white rubber natural rubber or not? The main reason I'm asking is to do with understanding how best to keep these platter mats soft, supple and maintaining of original colour. If they are actually natural rubber then silicone spray will be ideal in keeping them soft.
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 1:51 am   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: What type of rubber are most BSR platter mats actually made of?

I have no idea what these are made of but if I had one in poor enough condition that there's nothing to lose by trying, I'd give the silicone spray a go. The only BSR deck I've got now is a late UA25 and the mats on the later ones don't appear to be made of rubber but instead a strange, semi-flexible waxy plastic that lasts well. These will fit a UA14 but are usually dark grey or black. The design is the same, only the colour and material is different.

Regards,
Paul
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 5:42 am   #3
bsrman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply. Yes I've noticed that the UA25 have the same looking mats as the UA14, except for the colour. Those grey/black ones seem to have been much more harder, durable and preservable than the white UA14 ones. I'm assuming the UA14 mats were made of natural rubber as they are very soft and supple if in good condition and very similar in feel as a hot water bottle that you put in your bed to keep warm. Silicone seems to put softness back into them. Talcum powder seems to keep them soft too.
Old 22nd Dec 2014, 9:27 am   #4
33andahalf
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Bsrman,

I'm not sure whether the white platter mats in these BSR players are a natural color of rubber however I have a BSR UA15 and the white rubber mat has turned into this hard like plastic and is quite brittle. I'm looking at replacing it since now it's chipped in multiple spots. Any suggestions on what with or will any of the latest mats available be more then adequate?
Closed Thread