UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2014, 10:20 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Substituting a valve output transformer

The primary of the o/p tx in a Roberts P5A on which I'm working is o/c. I have one or two other o/p transformers around, including one from a Ferranti AC/DC radio whose o/p stage is a UCL82. Could I use the Transformer from this set to replace the Roberts one? Checking the valve data for both, the relevant figures seem to be as follows:-
EL33 Ra 7000 ohms, Pout 4.5w, Ia 36mA. UCL82 Ra5600 ohms Pout 3.5w Ia 35mA. To me, these figures seem sufficiently close enough to suggest that the 'UCL82' O/P Transformer would be OK. What do other members think?
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 10:26 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Substituting a valve output transformer

It'll be fine. Output transformer turns ratios are a lot less critical than some purists would have you believe. Just check that any replacement can handle the current, and increase the cathode resistor to reduce this if necessary.
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 2:13 pm   #3

I concur with Paul, almost anything will work, remember that one of the sales criteria was power output so the 'correct' transformer would give this. Unless you want a really loud set it will be OK.

Old 2nd Sep 2014, 7:56 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Having checked the output tx in question, there are two slight problems, both of which may be solvable. First, the Ekco/Ferranti Tx has a Feedback winding, whilst the Roberts doesn't. In the circuit for the EKco, the 'col' end of the volume control is returned to ground via the FB winding, so I could either modify the Roberts circuit to do the same ( I know this reduces gain!) or leave the winding unconnected, which presumably won't matter.
The second thing is that the Ekco transformer is larger than the Roberts one, and only has one fixing hole in it's clamp, the other side of which is a flat lug which fits through a slot in the chassis, This won't be easy to overcome. I checked a Bush VHF42 transformer, which might be easier to fit, although it, too, is bigger than the original, but I'm puzzled as to why this Tx has two high resistance windings, both of which read about 400 ohms. I should have a circuit diagram of the Bush set somewhere, but can't find it!
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 9:30 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

If there's physical space for the bigger TX, drill a hole in its second lug and mount it on a suitable ally plate using countersunk screws. Drill the plate to suit the holes in the chassis.

If the chassis holes end up under the TX, use the countersunk screw trick in reverse. It may help to leave the screwheads slightly proud so that whichever ones have their nuts tightened last have their heads held firmly
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread