UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2012, 5:53 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Felton's for obscure pots.

I seem to remember seeing a reference to Feltons' but can't find it with a search, so will post.

This is a business in Smethwick, Birmingham. I was given his number as I was seeking a twin gang 250k pot for a friend's amp, and I believe Mr Felton, in his 80's, has an extensive good stock of used ones.

A very helpful chap, who offered to post it. I think it's probably best to leave him for desperate last measures unless calling in, as he's not set up for postal orders.

285 Bearwood Road
Smethwick
B5 4DR

0121 4294 246
Old 13th Mar 2012, 8:09 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Felton's for obscure pots.

Not far from where my son lives.... I'll have to have a nose sometime!

You can't see much in streetview, the shopfront is behind a bus shelter
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th Mar 2012, 8:17 pm   #3
G4XWDJim
Octode

I know George Felton well and have been calling in to his shop since the 1970s. He's not in the best of health and opens only a few days each week so it's best to phone first.

He's got a good secondhand valve stock but as greenstar says he's not really set up to post stuff. It's definitely a shop to visit rather than to expect mail order. He's on his own so cannot visit the PO easily. Not only that it's a fair walk for him with his arms full of stuff.

Jim
Old 13th Mar 2012, 8:41 pm   #4
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I used to live close to Warley Woods so it was only a short walk, for me in those days, to Bearwood. The first shop was I think Northalls which had all kinds of interesting things for a young boy into electricity/electronics, and Feltons came later. I used to visit all the time when I was back in the UK. Unfortunately a lot of these type of shops have gone now.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 11:01 am   #5
Courtney Louise
Octode

Hi Jim, I had heard that he had now sold off his valve stock?
Old 14th Mar 2012, 2:54 pm   #6
greenstar
Octode

It was Chris Tredwell at Mode Components that put me on to Felton's. Chris didn't have the pot I was after, and offered to go on the bus to pick it up to add to my order! I don't think you could be much more helpful. Then Mr Felton was happy to post, a bit of a relief really. Chris also mentioned he had aquired some of Felton's transistor stock, so it does appear he is downsizing.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 2:55 pm   #7
G4XWDJim
Octode

I must admit that I haven't been to the shop in the last year but spoke to him by phone at Christmas.

I once bought 20,000 valves off him and split them with a mate. It took a good many car loads to get them home. Several years later just before moving house I sold them to another friend together with my restored 1100 jukebox.

George often gets silent key valve stocks in so even if he's sold the last lot it won't be long before he has more.

If you've been to the shop you'll probably realise that it's best to go on your own as it's very small and there's always somebody standing there for a natter.

It was a very sociable place to go in your lunch break from work nearby.

Jim
Old 14th Mar 2012, 8:39 pm   #8
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
It was Chris Tredwell at Mode Components that put me on to Felton's. Chris didn't have the pot I was after, and offered to go on the bus to pick it up to add to my order! I don't think you could be much more helpful. Then Mr Felton was happy to post, a bit of a relief really. Chris also mentioned he had aquired some of Felton's transistor stock, so it does appear he is downsizing.
Chris Tredwell will be closing Mode Components on the 5th of April.

Pete.
Old 30th Jul 2015, 8:45 pm   #9
G4XWDJim
Octode

I went today to George Felton's shop in Smethwick and bought several odds and ends that I needed.

I'm not into domestic sets so didn't pay much attention to the stock I saw but thinking about it later I feel I should mention what I saw for those here who are interested.

There was an early Cossor, landscape in shape with a narrow horizontal dial on the RHS in very nice looking condition. I think he mentioned £20. There was also a tuner cassette player and a small bakelite radio that I'm sorry to say chaps I hardly looked at but do recall it looked quite decent. Note to self, be more observant in future!

George mentioned that he had thousands of valves and I know his prices are very reasonable. He's not in the best of health but always enjoys a chat with his customers.

Well worth a visit for us in the Midlands. Parking nearby easy is enough. Just check that he's open before visiting.

Jim

Last edited by G4XWDJim; 30th Jul 2015 at 8:56 pm. Reason: Additions
Old 30th Jul 2015, 9:10 pm   #10
G4XWDJim
Octode

Here's the Cossor from an internet picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coss.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	111238  
Old 31st Jul 2015, 9:48 pm   #11
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Hi Jim, hope you're keeping well.

My colleague Len at the museum often visits "a little shop in Smethwick", the identity of which he has always tried to keep secret, but thanks to you I now know what it's called!

However I must try to stop acquiring more stuff as I need to start downsizing pretty soon.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 31st Jul 2015, 10:29 pm   #12
G4XWDJim
Octode

Hi Phil, all's well here,

George started that shop in the 1960s when he was a young man.

In the 70/80s I used to visit him once or twice a week during my lunch break when I worked in Edgbaston for an enjoyable natter and invariably came away with goodies. His prices were always better than most other shops, he had a very varied stock and knew what he was talking about.

You should call in Phil before it's too late.

Best,

Jim
Closed Thread