UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2015, 8:40 am   #21
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: New old Braun SK61

Points taken, Tony and Chris, although I would have thought that anyone later working on a radio to which a 3-core mains lead had been fitted would be aware of where and how the earth lead had been connected, and thus refit it when reassembling the equipment concerned. I must admit I haven't checked on the current (pun intended!) legal position with regard to this.
Old 9th Aug 2015, 10:25 am   #22
larryvee
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,

bit of progress to report.

I've changed to a 3 pin plug with a 3A fuse, made a lamp current limiter and tested it and....

Radio seems to be working, though the back light comes on and off when you move the tuner or switch between LW, MW and UKW (FM).

I could hear the All Ireland (Gaelic sports equivalent to FA cup) but at loudest volume setting it was still very faint - wondering aloud if I need an external aerial?

As for the record player, managed to slot the cartridge but the turntable won't turn.

Lastly, I got talking to Peter who runs audiorepair.ie in Dublin and has been on these forums and I'm going to book a slot in with him. I think it's the most responsible approach given my lack of experience.

Lar
Old 17th Aug 2015, 10:38 pm   #23
qualityten
Octode

Hi Lar, I've come late to this thread, but it's worth adding that this SK61 is a design classic (by German designer Dieter Rams) and as such is quite collectible. It won't go very loud (the German information sheet I saw on Ebay says channel 1 3W and channel 2 2W), but should sound nice. You might also have to service the turntable and you can get a stylus for the cartridge if it's still okay.
Old 18th Aug 2015, 8:21 am   #24
larryvee
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks @qualityten - very exciting! Must bring it on Antiques Roadshow

Radio seems to be working, but sound is very very faint. I'm not sure if that's
An antenna it a volume issue but I'm thinking the former as when you click to change the frequency e.g. LW to FM there's a loud 'crack' through the speakers.

The backlight to the tuner also goes on and off at random.

And the turntable definitely needs looking at. I'm going to attempt to clean it out myself.

I'm somewhat happy with the slow progress I've been making though as I said, I think I need a professional to change 'that' capacitor(s).

This forum has been invaluable. I already know a lot more than I did when I started. Much to the chagrin of my wife, I may need a workshop!
Closed Thread