UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2015, 5:45 pm   #1
Ekcoman
Heptode

Default PHILIPS EL3300 tape speed - motor?

Have been just finished restoring a PHILIPS EL3302 cassette tape recorder and found I have floundered at the last hurdle as the pinch wheel has a dent which made me think if I took the motor from this and replaced the one in my EL3300 would that help me solve a slightly slow tape speed. Maybe they are not compatible. I know the EL3300 has a tendency to run slow. Is it worth considering or should I just leave well alone.
Old 25th Jul 2015, 6:58 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: PHILIPS EL3300 tape speed - motor?

AFAIK, both the EL3300 and 3302 used a similar motor with an outboard speed regulator circuit built around a couple of germanium transistors, though it's many a day since I've seen or worked on either model, so I could be wrong. If I'm right, though, the fault is more likely to be in the speed control circuit, rather than the motor itself. The earlier mechanically governed motors could well suffer from speed problems, though
Old 25th Jul 2015, 8:25 pm   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

EL3300 and 3301 may not have the motor speed control circuit, so you need to
transplant both the board and the motor from the 3302 to enable it to work. You
need a test tape (with a tone) to correctly set the speed adjustment pot (R580)
Old 28th Jul 2015, 3:10 pm   #4
camtechman
Nonode

The EL3300 has an internal centrifugal "Bob Weight" speed control. Motors for EL3302 series have no such internal control as they run at a fixed unloaded speed & depends on a separate motor control circuit. BUT, more importantly, EL3302 machines use a different 'power' switch to that of the EL3300.

The EL3302 switch controls both the polarity reversal for when the machine is in play/rew/ff and also the supply to the motor control board too.

Take a look at the difference between original schematic for the EL3300 versus that of the EL3302.

Last edited by camtechman; 28th Jul 2015 at 3:27 pm.
Old 28th Jul 2015, 3:22 pm   #5
camtechman
Nonode

P.S. Every EL3300 that I own and have come across all play factory recorded musicassetes slow. My suspicion is when the EL3300 first came out they were set at a different speed,

After all, the customer wouldn't have noticed it, as any recording they made would have played back at the speed it was recorded at and only became noticable when a musicassette tape was played.

Last edited by camtechman; 28th Jul 2015 at 3:28 pm.
Old 28th Jul 2015, 3:39 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I read somewhere that EL3300s were deliberately set to run slow. The Compact Cassette was sold on its playing time (C60 = 60 minutes, etc) and Philips were worried that there would be complaints if somebody only got 59 minutes 30 seconds on one. So the machine was set to give a longer playing time by running a bit slow.
Old 28th Jul 2015, 7:48 pm   #7
Ekcoman
Heptode

Many thanks for all your replies. I think I'll leave as is, especially after reading last two posts.
Old 28th Jul 2015, 10:48 pm   #8
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I read somewhere that EL3300s were deliberately set to run slow. The Compact Cassette was sold on its playing time (C60 = 60 minutes, etc) and Philips were worried that there would be complaints if somebody only got 59 minutes 30 seconds on one. So the machine was set to give a longer playing time by running a bit slow.

Now that I think of it, I heard that sometime back.
Old 29th Jul 2015, 7:28 am   #9
PaulE27
Pentode

That was a theory I came up with!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...&postcount=178

Are there any other sources?

This is how rumours turn into "facts" on the interweb!

Paul
Old 29th Jul 2015, 7:47 pm   #10
Restoration73
Nonode

Bearing in mind that the Compact Cassette was initially also used as a mono music carrier, including pre recorded tapes, I can see no reason why a deviation from the correct speed would be acceptable, as the pitch would be wrong. Philips always made a test tape for engineers. To permit slight speed drift (possibly because of battery
or temperature variations) all blank tapes could provide a bit more time than specified
on the label.
Old 29th Jul 2015, 8:53 pm   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Did pre-recorded musicassettes come out with the EL3300? I thought they were somewhat later. I have certainly seen books that mention the EL3300 but make no reference to pre-recorded cassettes (e.g. 'The Philips Tape Recorder Book', second edition).

I thought the first speed test tape had length markings on the back. You played it for a specified time and checked it got between the right marks. And the tolerances were pretty wide. Test tapes recorded with a standard frequency came later I think.

Last edited by TonyDuell; 29th Jul 2015 at 8:54 pm. Reason: Correcting a typo
Old 30th Jul 2015, 8:02 am   #12
Ekcoman
Heptode

As far as I am aware the pre-recorded music cassette didn't appear in the UK until late 66 and very few titles that sold poorly. The EL3300 was not designed as a music producer and was seen in the main as a Dictaphone. Guess that speed therefore wasn't considered so critical as in the later models. The EL3301 & 3302 don't appear to have this issue.
Old 30th Jul 2015, 10:52 pm   #13
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcoman View Post
As far as I am aware the pre-recorded music cassette didn't appear in the UK until late 66 and very few titles that sold poorly
in 1968 they made the low-cost, playback-only N2200 Cassettophone to stimulate sales of prerecorded cassettes

https://books.google.it/books?id=rAc...corded&f=false
Closed Thread