UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2015, 9:58 am   #41
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: Electronic (valve) home organ Restoration

Any more progress as of yet Lucien?
Old 29th Mar 2015, 10:48 am   #42
Herald1360
Dekatron

I expect the Ally Pally TX has sidelined other stuff......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Mar 2015, 1:10 pm   #43
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

No, sorry, the organ is sitting here in the workshop poised for action but time has been a bit tricky recently. Not only as Herald says with the transmitter recovery but also 'proper' work being busy at the moment - 7 day weeks and 16 hour days - which limit restorations to the early hours of the morning.

I'm looking forward to picking this and a couple of other restorations up again soon...
Old 29th Jul 2015, 2:20 pm   #44
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi Lucien,

Didn't want to seem like I was nagging but just thought I'd ask if you had made any progress on the organ?

I have since picked up a twin manual complete with bass pedals home entertainments organ made by Sidney S Bird of Poole Dorset, it uses neon lamps in the dividers and valves in the master oscillators, vibrato and amplification. It works a bit but needs lots doing.

All the best
Old 29th Jul 2015, 2:52 pm   #45
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I serviced a few Bird organs years ago.
The sound was distinctive as the dividers gave sawtooth waves instead of the usual square waves.

The neon dividers gave many problems if I recall.
Old 31st Jul 2015, 7:26 pm   #46
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Hi, sorry about my extended absence again - as I've related in the members news thread things got a bit heavy-going and I had to duck out of all vintage activities for a while. The organ is still here but under wraps and has not been touched by screwdriver or iron since I last posted. Hopefully I can pick up all these things where I left off, now that the hellish work pressure has abated.

The idea of starting out with a nice simple little restoration to write a thread about, before tacking one of the larger instruments, was rather spectacularly eclipsed a few weeks ago. As part of a larger project, I was commissioned to bring back to life and present to an audience, in just a few days, a rare and fascinating instrument at the other end of the scale. 348 oscillators using 172 ECC82s, and more out-of-spec paper caps that you can shake a stick at, made for an interesting experience. But that is the subject of another thread and I will return to the little Burge any time now.

I have never played or worked on a Bird. We do however have a neon divider organ, a little Hohner spinet, that could be the subject of another thread soon.
Closed Thread