UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2017, 3:06 pm   #1
philippe
Retired Dormant Member

Default Wye Audio Centre : Model 808

Hi all,

I'm french, Young (34 years old) and my english is not very good

So, I have this turntable and I search more information (wiring, date, information, .......).
I get this from my grand-father. I know, he used this all the time and its working also good now (but some small problem with accessories).
I search some information about this. I think, its by in Paris (my grand-father lived near Paris) but I dont know when, and I search special documentation to troobleshoot or make improvement for sound quality.

I have the original documentation but its just specification and some user info (5 pages).

I can scan this to other people if somebody want.

Model number is 808.

Thanks in advanced for your return
Old 20th Mar 2017, 3:12 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: WYE AUDIO CENTER : Model 808

Can you post a photo?
Old 20th Mar 2017, 3:35 pm   #3
philippe
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: WYE AUDIO CENTER : Model 808

Here you have Photo and Operating Instructions

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front WYE.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	139564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back WYE.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	139565  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WYE AUDIO STATION 808.pdf (429.2 KB, 103 views)
Old 20th Mar 2017, 4:08 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Default Re: Wye Audio Centre : Model 808

You may find this thread interesting: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=132985
Old 20th Mar 2017, 4:26 pm   #5
philippe
Retired Dormant Member

I have seen this before

I search in Worl wide web since 1 or 2 years

Maybe I can't find more information. I try here because it one big UK forum
Old 20th Mar 2017, 6:48 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Wye Electronics were not a big manufacturer and I'm surprised they exported to France, so service information may be difficult to find.

Are you saying that there is a fault that you want to investigate, or do you simply want to improve the sound? These 1970s 'music centres' were never intended to be hifi and there's not much you can do to upgrade them, other than use better loudspeakers.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 7:21 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

If it uses Mullard modules in the tuner, maybe it does in the amplifier too. Mullard 10W audio modules (AD161-162 output) sometimes turn up in semi-reasonable products. If so, most of any servicing info needed should be traceable via the module route rather than the manufacturer one.

A picture of the inside would tell if this is the case.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Mar 2017, 8:01 pm   #8
philippe
Retired Dormant Member

Everything is working.
But, some part is missing or destroyed (belt for audio tape is broken/missing, "centering pin" is missing (I have special part to play multiple vinyl: 4 or 6 max; but is big part). So, I just trie to find this parts, and also, I want to adjust "Arm strength" but I dont understand what screw for what kind of adjustment.

You can see, here some other picture.

"paulsherwin" says :Wye Electronics were not a big manufacturer and I'm surprised they exported to France, so service information may be difficult to find.

I am very impressed about this, but we have find some Soviet camera in my grand-father house (with import paper). I think, he buys this with very good contact (for Soviet or English parts).

Some more picture: 1 inside, 1 about audio tape, 2 about adjustment for arm, and 1 about "diamond cell" (it is possible to change this part, or its just necessary to replace by new one for the future)

Thanks a lot for your idea

P.S: I have also one DUAL turntable, but WYE Electronics is looking good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside WYE.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	139568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape WYE.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	139569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustment1 WYE.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	139570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustment2 WYE.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	139571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond cell WYE.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	139572  

Old 20th Mar 2017, 9:55 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Mullard Modules in there, so service info is likely to be scarce.

The SC12M cartridge is still available (just, at a price: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ceramic-st...e-sc-12m-hr10l ) but is unlikely to be faulty. A replacement diamond stylus for it is still readily available.

The short single play centre spindle should be findable but if you have the tall autochange spindle you can either wiggle the record over it and down or simply remove it and reinsert to locate the disc. After that just use the deck in manual mode as required.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Mar 2017, 10:07 pm   #10
paulsherwin

The main capstan belt for the cassette deck is missing. You need to use a piece of sewing thread or thin string around the pulleys to estimate the belt size, and then estimate the belt width (typically 3-4mm) from the motor pulley. With this information you can order a generic belt for a few euros.

It isn't obvious if any other belts are missing.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 11:29 pm   #11
dinker11
Tetrode

I think about the question ref "arm strength", you mean tracking weight or stylus pressure.

This is adjusted by the silver thumb screw as seen at the rear of the arm plastic assembly when the arm is horizontal.

There is not any indication on the adjuster to tell you what the pressure is so to get this correct you will have to use a stylus pressure gauge.

If you are trying to add more weight to stop the stylus skipping, you need to firstly service the deck so that it is free of old grease and the arm is free to travel across the normal playing zone and possibly order a new stylus.

This type of BSR deck are renowned for skipping near to the last part of record play due to gummed up trip pawl's.

I expect that the deck is near to 40 years old so some patience in cleaning and setting up is required.

These decks although considered "cheap" in their day are far far better than you can buy today for less than £100.

Good luck with the overhaul and fully read the "stickys" at the start of this forum which will give you all the information that you will need to get the deck performing as well as it can.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 11:30 pm   #12
philippe
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks a lot for your's information
Old 21st Mar 2017, 8:42 am   #13
Radio Wrangler

Almost all manufacturers of audio equipment like this bought the record turntable units from either BSR or Garrard. The biggest exception is Philips, who made their own turntable units.

Similarly the mechanisms for cassette tapes were usually bought from other companies, often Philips. If you can find out which cassette mechanism it uses, you will probably be able to get service information for it. There are several people in this group who are very good at recognising these things.

David
Old 21st Mar 2017, 9:43 am   #14
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

That Cassette mechanism looks like a JVC one. These were fitted to several European made Decks & music centres, including, I think, Tandberg, though I don't know the model number(s). A google search may yield results. The autochanger is one of the BSR C123, 129, etc., series which are by now 40 years old. It will need degreasing and relubrication -see the 'sticky' threads at the head of this section for further information. There are also a couple of threads about removing the turntable and cam gear, both of which may be seized on their shafts. One suggestion, which i have found useful, is to pour boiling water down the shafts to soften the dried grease.
Old 21st Mar 2017, 10:17 am   #15
Radio Wrangler

Now you mention it, there was a lot of unused JVC cassette mechanisms released onto the UK market around 1980 - I bought one from a surplus store in Glasgow. It was a JVC mechanism with their 'sendust' head and mechanical actuation by piano-key controls. They had bee imported for use by Tandberg in Haddington, but Tandberg had hit troubled times.

It was a good mechanism and an excellent head.

David
Old 21st Mar 2017, 1:11 pm   #16
Grubhead
Heptode

I remember seeing lots of these units being sold at the main branch of Woolworths next to the Castle Market in Sheffield.
I suspect the Grand Father bought it from Woolies!
Old 21st Mar 2017, 6:42 pm   #17
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I still have the JVC mechanism somewhere in my workshop, though it's probably only useful as a source of spares by now. IIRC, according the manufacturing date on the Motor, it dates from 1978.
Closed Thread