UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2017, 8:38 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Bush TV63

I eventually got the Bush TV63 from Scotland, I have replaced the smoothing caps as these had shown signs of on the verge of blowing up and removed all the dust inside, I checked underneath to see if anything was untoward and connected the mains, I got brightness but the picture is shrunk leaving a small oblong picture. At this time I haven't changed any waxy caps or checked any adjustment on the controls, I haven't taken any voltage measurement yet. Just wondered though if there are any odd things that are common about this set.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 7:07 am   #2
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Default Re: Bush TV63

Hi Ken

Not sure if you have seen this or if it's any help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV62.PDF (556.7 KB, 152 views)
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 9:26 am   #3
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Howard

Thanks for that, I am going to take voltage measurements around the power supply area, as I think this is some weird problem there. Will update on the progress.

Ken
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 9:38 am   #4
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Be sure to replace all of the wax caps.
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 10:14 am   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I have recently completed the restoration of the Bush TV62 which is the Bakelite cased version. It was quite an easy restoration.

The wax caps were replaced one at a time and the rubber insulated wire on the 5 pin plug to the receiver chassis needed replacement as was the wire around the mains and voltage droppers. This is important as the covered cable to the receiver chassis carries both HT and heater supplies as well as an earth and pretty much all the wires shorted together once disturbed and the rubber insulation started crumbling away.

The line output transformer and EHT rectifier is held on the timebase chassis with 2 screws and easily comes off making life much easier. A pity not more manufacturers adopted this technique.

The EHT rectifier, line output and boost rectifier valves were replaced followed by the 2 HT rectifier valves and this made a considerable difference as they were well worn out. I was concerned that the CRT was going to be rather tired looking at the dark patches around the neck glass over the electron gun though it gave an excellent bright raster.

Little attention was needed to the receiver chassis other than a few wax caps being changed and the fine tuner and channel plunger cam assembly needing stripping cleaning and greasing as was very stiff.

It gives a very good 405 line picture once restored

Christopher Capener
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 8:50 pm   #6
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hello Chris

Yes I agree about those wax covered caps, I so far have in addition to the smoothing caps, c91, v18 v19, v9, c88, c81, and v8 and c95. And yes I noticed the rubber covering on some wiring perished of which as I come across it I replace. I have yet to obtain two pcl83 valves and a ey86. More to follow

Ken
Old 24th Apr 2017, 4:39 pm   #7
Radio Tech
Nonode

Well fellow members following this thread, an update on the progress, since changing those cap in 6 above I have now got a picture but still shrinkage on the sides which suggests to me still a problem with the width, the voltages are much more respectable and I have changed more capacitors. The rubber covered wiring which runs at the rear of the tag board on the power section, is that held in one harness and is it easy to draw out once the ends are disconnected? I don't want the task really of moving the tag board out the way. The 0.5uf marked as C95 although its marked 250V AC WKG I only had a 474nF 650V cap to replace it with and did wonder when there is a signal fed in from the aroa there is a hum but it doesn't appear to be mains hum and I think the set was tuned a little different being it was used in Scotland as Channel 1 is on a different channel

Ken
Old 24th Apr 2017, 8:36 pm   #8
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Bush TV63

If C95 is the one I am thinking of which is the thumping huge wax capacitor attached to the rear near to the 2 droppers, it is in series with a small wirewound resistor and goes between HT and the heater supply. I think it is just an RF/noise suppressor circuit. I doubt the value of this capacitor is critical. Mine worked ok without it as it had gone S/C taking out the wirewound resistor.

Christopher Capener
Old 25th Apr 2017, 10:40 am   #9
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Christopher

Yes it is the very large cap which is strapped to the rear of the chassis, I am still in the process of replacing caps all over the place, and having to wait for some electrolytic ones being sent, its those three strapped together on the power section, there is a couple of 2uf caps and a 50uf,

I have got some valves coming for it as well, the picture gets slowly bigger to fill the screen as the set warms up, I think this could be the PL81 at fault. More to come

Ken
Old 27th Apr 2017, 7:24 pm   #10
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi folks

Here is an update, most of the capacitors now replaced and mains tapping now set at our supply voltage here, 230V, the picture is nicely on the screen now all except that the picture position needs to go up the screen so got to locate the control on neck of tube to do this, but what puzzles me is that I have had to set the aroa on channel B and the set to channel 13 to obtain the picture on screen. I am not sure why this is and what actual transmitter it was tuned to.

Ken
Old 1st May 2017, 3:02 pm   #11
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi folks

Just a little update on the set, I eventually got the picture but still got to do some adjustment. I need some knobs for the set, I will put a want in the wanted section though.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00283.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	141922  
Old 4th May 2017, 3:23 pm   #12
SteveCG
Nonode

Ken,

... well the Selkirk Transmitter (ITA) was on channel 13, but I bet you are going to tell me that this is a Band I only TV !!
Closed Thread