UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2012, 11:36 am   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Another Prestcold fridge!

Funny how things find you isn't it?

I was chatting to the woman in the local house clearance shop yesterday when I happened to notice that the blanket-covered item I was leaning on looked familiar... it was.

Not long ago I found a Prestcold fridge which was pressed into service after a very thorough clean up:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ight=prestcold

Well, that was a model 301 and the one I was leaning on turned out to be a model 302. The shop was debating what to do with it, but couldn't sell it as a going concern as it had a plug whose live and neutral pins didn't have the plastic sheath bit that all modern plugs apparently have to have. The tip threatened....Well, with the plug cut off, thereby removing any doubt, the fridge came home with me to join it's mate.

There are quite a few differences, although the only one externally is that of a slightly thicker handle. Inside the door is totally revised with lots of space for eggs and a 'dairy bar' which pops open to reveal space for your butter and lard etc. The ice box door is glossy black unlike the light blue of the earlier model. The temperature dial is different too with a proper 'off' position for defrosting. Still no internal light. My 301 has a plastic catch for the door, but this 302 has a modern-style magnetic seal.

The really amazing coincidence is that this was only just taken out of service at a house about 4 minutes walk from mine. So all the time I was refurbishing my first example, this one was humming away to itself just yards away!

I may have to let my first one go, as I really can't justify owning two, so I may post it under the items for sale section soon.

Anyway, to the pics. Compare and contrast with those in my older thread.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY3933.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	72599   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY3934.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	72600   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY3935.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	72601   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY3937.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	72602   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY3938.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	72603  

Old 11th Nov 2012, 11:53 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Another Prestcold fridge!

I don't think that not having plastic sheaths on an original fitment plug is an issue. Only if it needs to be repaired or replaced must a sheathed one be used. Peace of mind of the seller is another matter, of course.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Nov 2012, 5:08 pm   #3
whyperion
Hexode

I thought the even more modern regulation that new electrical consumer items should have moulded plugs came about because of the number of consumers who could not wire (correctly) a 13amp plug. With a non moulded plug how can you necessarily tell the difference between a plug 'originally supplied' and a later refit (other than the obvious that the appliance was made after the regulation for shielded L N pins became operative)?
Old 16th Apr 2014, 11:55 am   #4
YoungManGW
Hexode

I had the Prestcold 301 fridge from Steve some good while ago, intending to put it in my Silver Streak Clipper, but other plans have taken over. It is thus up for ownership by someone else that will look after it. It can be had free of charge from SY10 8LF. Please PM me if you are interested.

Moderators: please move item if it now better fits another category.

Last edited by YoungManGW; 16th Apr 2014 at 11:58 am. Reason: Addition of item model
Old 16th Apr 2014, 3:47 pm   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Another Prestcold fridge!

Gosh space for 12 eggs must be a record !! much better than the usual space for 4 eggs that modern fridges have when they usually come in a box of 6 !!
Christopher Capener
Old 16th Apr 2014, 7:29 pm   #6
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyperion View Post
I thought the even more modern regulation that new electrical consumer items should have moulded plugs came about because of the number of consumers who could not wire (correctly) a 13amp plug.
All the regulation says is plugs must be fitted. Nothing about moulded plugs. Plenty of stuff in the shops fitted with rewire able plugs.
Old 21st Apr 2014, 8:40 am   #7
whyperion
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
Gosh space for 12 eggs must be a record !! much better than the usual space for 4 eggs that modern fridges have when they usually come in a box of 6 !!
I note that Boxes of 4 are avalible in some shops (certainly those chocolate ones ). I tend to keep mine in the box on a shelf anyway.
Old 25th Apr 2014, 1:24 pm   #8
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Is re-gassing one of these an issue? , How about retrofitting a different pump if the old one is Kaput. I have heard of people re-gassing using an air-con kit for a car . How is it done and what are the right wrong ways of doing it ? I ask as I have come across these with no gas and knacked pumps . I would like one myself .
Closed Thread