UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2015, 1:45 pm   #1
stubbyeddy
Pentode

Default Commodore CBM 3032 'PET'

just got hold of one of these which was dead apart from the screen, after changing all the caps it now shows some signs of life, I get the first full screen image of jumbled characters then a blank one before hanging on a screen with what looks like aliened exclamation marks at regular intervals vertically but only on the bottom half of the display, im sure its bad ROM and or RAM chips and have put on order the petvet from bitfixer but im am a bit out if my depth with this one, if anyone can give me any help or advice please get in touch, id love to get it working again and learn some very basic programming !!

can provide photos if it helps

Eddy
Old 28th Apr 2015, 8:01 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Commodore CBM 3032 'PET'

Have you searched online, a quick search turned this up, which may be completely unrelated of course: http://www.verrua.org/pet_repair/
Old 28th Apr 2015, 9:30 pm   #3
stubbyeddy
Pentode

thanks for that link, after reading that from what I can make out it has to be bad roms I can get hold of the roms online and the 2532 EPROMS but i dont have a eprom programmer ! can anyone help me out?
Old 28th Apr 2015, 10:01 pm   #4
cmjones01
Nonode

I've never worked on a PET, but on lots of other vintage microprocessor systems, and a fault like you describe would usually be a RAM fault. A quick Google suggests that the video RAMs may be 2114s, which are very often faulty in equipment of this age. The program RAMs are probably 4116 DRAMs which can also give trouble. Faulty ones often get hot, which is a good clue. The static RAMs (2114s) can often be diagnosed by 'piggybacking': just putting another (known good) RAM chip on top of the suspect one. If the fault is fixed, or changes, you know you've found something.

The machine is clearly doing something - if it's clearing the screen, the CPU is running, so you can't be far off!

Chris
Old 3rd May 2015, 11:14 am   #5
acollins22
Pentode

I had a fault on my 4032 which prevented it coming up. The screen would clear and I heard a beep but nothing else. This was down to a faulty PIA chip on the IEEE interface. I pulled the chip and it booted fine.

If you have a scope, take a look at the clocks and the _INT_ line. The faulty PIA was holding it down on mine.

Circuit diagrams are out there and there is plenty of info.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Andy.
Closed Thread