UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2011, 7:51 pm   #21
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Default Re: The Most Beautiful TV Set

The Decca CTV25 Console with folding doors and twin speakers - my first colour set to play with in about 1975/6. It only cost me £16 with a duff tube (green gun gone) I fitted a re-gunned tube.

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 8th Feb 2011, 8:16 pm   #22
brianc
Rest in Peace

For me it has to be the Marconiphone 703. No self-respecting withdrawing room should be without one - it must have been fantastic to be in the position to buy one in 1937! Coming a close second is the GEC BT1092A. In my opinion, better looking than the TV12/22 family as I like the "lowboy" shape with LS to the side of the screen (sorry about the dreadful GEC piccy).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019A frontal 1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	46434   Click image for larger version

Name:	703 Full Frontal WA (Large) (Large).jpg
Views:	320
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	46435  
Old 8th Feb 2011, 11:11 pm   #23
flyingtech55
Octode

Of the later colour sets I, not surprisingly, greatly favour the appearance of the solid-state B&O offerings. The styling was subtle and refined. In the case of the 550x/770x series, there are no visible controls. They are not in the least fussy, over ornate or 'plasticky' and fit well into a contemporary setting.

Just my opinion,

TimR
Old 8th Feb 2011, 11:28 pm   #24
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

This is one of my fav looking sets
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Regentone TR20 015.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	46451  
Old 9th Feb 2011, 2:16 am   #25
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Chris (repairman 1234) - I had a set identical to that one for several years. Wish I'd had room to keep it now, it was a great set. Sold to a secondhand shop which is still trading today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I still like the very slim 'Ultra Bermuda' of the '60s, it crammed a reasonably sized screen into an almost impossible space, the advent of 110 degree CRTs helped but I still think it was a smart set. Haven't seen one for years, does anybody have one?
Yes... I've attached a couple of pictures of mine. Shame there are scratches and cup stains on the top, though this will be sorted when I get round to restoring the set. I don't think the VHF tuner knob is the original one...

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ultra_Bermuda.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	46462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra_Bermuda_Back.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	46463  
Old 9th Feb 2011, 7:51 am   #26
brockencomb
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All
It,s got to be the Phillips G6 especially the twenty five inch models. Many of these were built in the era where there was no shortage of wood and later some became drinks cabinets The chassis however was a nightmare with wires popping off and yes a feeling of triumph when you got the thing working I knew a customer who used to leave the back cover off as he reckoned it made the thing more reliable and as for lifting one of these monsters, forget it ,hernia's were invented by Phillips.
Old 9th Feb 2011, 10:16 am   #27
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGmidsUK View Post
Chris (repairman 1234) - I had a set identical to that one for several years. Wish I'd had room to keep it now, it was a great set. Sold to a secondhand shop which is still trading today
Hi Brian,
That set is a Philips G8 (550)
These sets hold a very special place in my heart as they are the set that i was trained on. Brilliant set and great design, although not without some failings, it always tops the bill for me.
Old 9th Feb 2011, 10:34 am   #28
Tazman1966
Nonode

Nice sets the Philips 550 G8s Chris.

I'm not sure Brian but I have a feeling that Peter was talking about the Ultra Bermudas before the Thorn take-over. I'll let him confirm...
Old 9th Feb 2011, 1:16 pm   #29
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Yes, that's correct, the 'genuine' Ultra, the cabinet was only about 6" or less deep, and had about 1/4" of lacquer on it (maybe a slight exageration) and gold trim. Controls on the side and one of those flat plate turret tuners, can't remember what it was called now.

Peter
Old 9th Feb 2011, 2:06 pm   #30
Duke_Nukem
Octode

For me I'd guess it'd have to be the little Invicta TL31. Basically its a Pye D16, but just the addition of three simple contrasting strips of wood across the speaker grill transforms the D16's somewhat basic appearance.

Running a close second would probably be the Baird Townsman.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 9th Feb 2011, 3:30 pm   #31
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Indesit 12" in orange then the g11 original in white
Old 9th Feb 2011, 5:15 pm   #32
Mikey405
Octode

I think it has to be the wonderful simplicity of the Philips 21TG100U. Whenever I have non-Television pals over, it's always the set that they like the most. Slightly later would be the Dynatron CTV16 with its fantastic B&O looks, wonderful unreliability and lovely picture.

Thanks all.

From Mike.
Old 9th Feb 2011, 6:18 pm   #33
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I'm with Mikey on that one. The 17/21TG100Us were a a most elegantly understated and stylish design, both inside and out. I must agree with Brokencomb about Philips inventing the hernia - remember the 1756 'Battleship' anyone? Another one that made a lasting impression, and seemed 'in tune' with the period, was the original Ultra Bermuda in white with the slender silver knobs (which often got snapped off by customers used to something more substantial). Tony.
Old 9th Feb 2011, 6:40 pm   #34
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I still like the very slim 'Ultra Bermuda' of the '60s, it crammed a reasonably sized screen into an almost impossible space, the advent of 110 degree CRTs helped but I still think it was a smart set. Haven't seen one for years, does anybody have one?
Hello,

Yes, I have an 19" Ultra model 1984. This is one of the last range of sets that are true Ultra designed and built, prior to the Thorn takeover and subsequent use of the Thorn 800 and 850 chassis (albeit still in "Bermuda" presentation cabinets). It does look rather modern, with its shallow cabinet, deep Polyeurathene varnish, white painted and perforated aluminium speaker grilles (like the companion Ultra TR81 AM/FM transistor portable radio) and laquered brass trims.

I also once had a 17" V17-81, with a motorised turret, wired remote control and VHF/FM radio facilities (from the previous year's Ultra TV range), with "Bermuda" styling.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 9th Feb 2011, 8:23 pm   #35
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

My favourite looking telly is the Decca Bradford either the CS2213 or CS2230 both same style and wooden cabinet also love the CS1910 and CS2030. Did not think the later sets with varicap tuning were as attractive.
Old 9th Feb 2011, 9:03 pm   #36
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Dazzlevision

Sounds like the set from description but these were late '50s - early '60s. 405 only.

Peter
Old 9th Feb 2011, 10:18 pm   #37
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

A set after my own heart is the Stella version of the 17TG100U, a childhood set which I'd love to be custodian of again. I keep looking out for one but they always elude me .. usually too far away to be "economical" to collect.

I do love the Bush TV12 though, also the Murphy V310. Not sure if I can name a favourite, many sets have their own unique merits.

Brian
Old 9th Feb 2011, 10:38 pm   #38
trabant
Retired Dormant Member

I do like the perdio portarama ( sorry )
Old 9th Feb 2011, 10:58 pm   #39
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Nothing wrong with the Perdio Portorama.

DFWB.
Old 9th Feb 2011, 10:59 pm   #40
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
Although I do like vintage TV and enjoy it as a hobby, I in honesty can say that beauty is not an issue with myself. Beauty in my eyes is a mountain range or sunset not really an inanimate object.
What I do think though is how mankind can make an item that will work for many years, to me its the quality of the engineering, the ease of service, the reliability and the overall performance that counts. Some of the so called beautiful sets actually were diabolically engineered.
Closed Thread