UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2016, 11:02 am   #41
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4307 reel to reel tape-recorder

Did the N4302 as well.
The last one I did I remember lifting off the whole headbridge; this time I had a German service manual to hand. Reading it, it suggests threading the belt around the headbridge to save time. You have to remove two front screws and struts first. Then there is a linkage with spring that needs shifting (to the left of the headbridge). Finally the belt is threaded between the headbridge plate and pinch roller arm assembly.

As in the 4307, brake block rubber is from a CRT wedge! Amazingly, the original part in this one was OK, but I reasoned that its days are probably numbered, so changed it as a precaution.

Photos attached in case anyone takes on one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n4302 headbridge.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	118590   Click image for larger version

Name:	n4302 mech spring.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	118591   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips n4302 spring.jpg
Views:	252