UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2010, 3:43 pm   #1
eddiegemail
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker Grenadier GP45 advice needed.

hi everyone, i have bought a hacker grenadier gp45 with sa45 amp. it powers up okay and runs but the auto action doesn't work and the arm will not travel all the way across. if i buy the service manual will it tell me how to repair it? i am capable of this type of work as i service and repair boilers for a living but would appreciate any help and advice i can get. thanks.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 24th Jan 2010 at 10:33 am. Reason: Changed thread title to be more meaningful.
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 4:19 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: new guy needs help!

Hi it sounds like the auto mech has seize ,remove the turntable after removing the center spindle and large cir clip, you will see a large cog held on by a cir clip remove the clip now the cog should come off i may be sized due to greese gone hard, twisting and pulling at the same time should release it,now you will see a small cir clip remove this and remove the levers clean the old greese off use thin oil when re assembling, try this first, regards Mick.
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 5:06 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: new guy needs help!

Just to add a bit to the above, when you remove and clean the small pawl that is attached to the edge of the large cog wheel, re-assemble, but do NOT oil the moving parts of the pawl, only a tiny drop on the pivot pin. the pawl relies on metal to metal friction to work properly, and oiling any of the moving parts will clog it. If the arm is not travelling inwards all the way, this is to do with the movement of the plastic right angled lever which is on the top of the deck, to the left of the record balancing arm (known as the overarm) When a 7" record drops, the lever will stay where it is, when a 10" record, it will move back slightly when the record knocks it, and when a 12" record drops, the lever is pushed back a bit further. This lever is the "record sizer" and if the arm is not travelling to the correct position, there will be something sticking in the mechanism attached to this underneath the deck. Sounds as though a thorough clean and relube of all moving parts will cure the problem. Let us know how you are getting on, and hopefully, between us we will be able to cure the problem.

Barry
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 4:23 pm   #4
eddiegemail
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hacker Grenadier GP45 advice needed.

Hi Mick and Barry, thanks very much for your advice - I have only just recieved it as I thought the messages would come through to my email if someone replied so I haven't been checking the site! Anyway, am going off to give it a try and will let you know the reults, Eddie.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 5:32 pm   #5
eddiegemail
Retired Dormant Member

Yippee! you are both geniuses - or is that genii? thanks a lot, did what you said and used light oil just on the pivot and wiggled it about for a while and noticed how much looser it became. I have tested it on 7" single and 12" LP and it works perfectly. I haven't attached the amp and tried it in stereo yet but I have noticed that whenever I adjust (or even touch) the volume or treble control knobs it crackles very loudly! - I'm guessing this is electrical and probably means replacing something? or do you have more magic tricks up your sleeves? Eddie.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 8:45 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
Sounds like the controls just want cleaning. You can buy switch cleaner from Maplin's called "Servisol 10". Just squirt a little into each pot with the player unplugged to be safe & work the knobs from end to end. That should cure it, hopefully. It may not stop the noise 100% due to the age of the equipment but I'm sure it'll make a worthwhile improvement .
Hope this helps.
Cheers de Pete