UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2014, 8:51 pm   #1
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Default Grundig 7060 WE/3D

Unusual chassis with odd valve line up. EBC41, ECH81, EF89, EBC41, EM80, EL84 and Selenium rectifier. Covers MW and 4 SW bands.
I can't find a schematic anywhere, not even on Radiomuseum.
Whilst the radio is working well I'd like to see what the front end EBC41 is doing!
Does anyone happen to have the circuit?

PS: 7060 W/3D is NOT the same!

Last edited by Colin Boggis; 22nd Oct 2014 at 9:02 pm.
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 12:06 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig 7060 WE/3D

I suppose it could be a grounded grid RF stage. I can't think of any other way it could be any use. Do you know it's the right valve and not a cuckoo?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 9:07 am   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
I suppose it could be a grounded grid RF stage.
If Chris is right it is likely to only be used on short wave. Why not remove it and see if any or all of the short wave ranges stop working?
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 8:36 pm   #4
Colin Boggis
Pentode

It's the correct valve - types are marked on back panel and, no, it's not for SW. Interestingly I've found that it's used as a preamp for the pick up input! Not sure what the diodes do - still need that elusive circuit! When I've more time I'll sketch out the circuit if I have to. Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 9:43 pm   #5
roffe
Hexode

Found this circuit diagram:
http://www.dampfradioforum.de/downlo...5976&mode=view
and this where Hans M Knoll talks about the EBC41 as RIAA stage:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig_3050wf3dph.html

Last edited by roffe; 23rd Oct 2014 at 10:13 pm.
Old 24th Oct 2014, 12:43 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

That makes the set rather special!

Pity they didn't go the whole hog with a push pull output.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Oct 2014, 8:19 pm   #7
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Thanks for all your help! I have drawn out the circuit of the amplifier in my radio - it's very similar to that mentioned by Hans M Knoll. Pictures and circuit attached. All the capacitors were faulty, but resistors within 10%. I've just finished replacing the caps. and I'll test out the repaired amplifier tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	99169   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	99170   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	99171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Family24102014_0000.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	99172  
Old 24th Oct 2014, 8:25 pm   #8
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Whoops, just noticed my diagram has a 10 Meg from grid to ground missing!.
Old 24th Oct 2014, 8:39 pm   #9
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Here's my corrected circuit alongside that of Hans Knoll for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	99182  
Old 25th Oct 2014, 10:09 am   #10
bobbyball
Octode

I've noticed that a few manufacturers used the EBC41 as a "single triode" stage, just grounding the diode connections. Philips used them as a (non RIAA) "tone booster" (their description) stage in some of their radiograms, the type that used the crystal pick ups.

Sometimes the EBC41 is also used as an extra triode stage in a push-pull output: the Grundig 5080 radio uses it in this configuration.

I think the "/WE" suffix meant that it was an export version. I have a streogram that has this suffix and instead of LW it has two SW bands and the FM coverage is up to 108 MHz.

When restoring a set like this it goes without saying that allthe wax caps need changing as well as as most if not all of the electrolytics unless they will re-form. They are often made by "ERO" who seem still to be in business as the "modern" ones I have are also made by them.

Does your set have the built in record deck then? Grundig were among many that did this.
Old 25th Oct 2014, 10:33 am   #11
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Yes it has an early Perpetuum Ebner deck, with very unusual auto function - literally a weight that sits on top of the stack to push the records down! It too has issues which will be sorted in due course (I hope!).
At present I haven't replaced any caps in the main chassis but it seems to be working OK. Obviously I will check them though. They aren't Wima or ERO - I don't recognise the maker -the are in shiny finish hard shells, tapered at the leads, with KS together with what looks like RR or KR markings.
Old 25th Oct 2014, 11:02 am   #12
bobbyball
Octode

Colin I would definitely replace all the coupling and decoupling capacitors. Not worth wasting time checking them, just replace them. I am doing the same in my big stereo chassis, have just run out of 0.022 uF at the minute! The small value ones used in the radio circuity for the tuned circuits etc should be OK and would upset the alignment anyway if disturbed

The record changer will be called the "REX". The plate sits on top of the records to hold them in place, there was a version of the deck (which I have!) that uses the more usual record steady arm. There were 3 speed and 4 speed versions and some, yours included I presume, that have a removeable headshell: the cartridge may well be an ELAC.

The deck is unusual and clever in how it detects the record size. The first record in the stack will be lowered down a couple of cm or so and then "measured" by the edge of the pick up head; it will then drop and be played. The deck can be used on manual by using a short spindle that should (or would have been) mounted on a clip.
Old 25th Oct 2014, 2:34 pm   #13
Colin Boggis
Pentode

I shall replace all caps: I usually do! Just hadn't yet as radio works well. Out of interest do you know the manufacturer of these caps - picture attached.

Regarding deck, yes it is a REX, 3 speed and I do have the short spindle too. I suspect the cartridge is faulty as output is very low and connections are fine including the sliding contacts. Shame because it's quite unusual.

Being a mercenary kind of chap, I'll probably sell the deck as I think it's very collectable. I have a later PE deck I could replace it with that has a good cartridge although I'll then have to modify the RIAA stage as it isn't magnetic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	99196  
Old 25th Oct 2014, 2:52 pm   #14
bobbyball
Octode

Can't say I have seen that make before, but have replaced ones of a similar style in a NordMende chassis I was rebuilding.

I'm not sure whethere those early turnover cartridges (usually made by Elac) weren't an early "variable reluctance" type.
Old 27th Oct 2014, 12:03 pm   #15
Colin Boggis
Pentode

A stroke of luck - amongst a pile of 78 rpm records that came with the gram, in a sleeve, was the circuit diagram of both the radio and the RIAA stage plus the user manuals for the gram & the PE Deck! So I'm no longer searching for them.

Circuits attached for those who want them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grundig RIAA amplifier.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	99281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig 7060 WE 3D.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	99282  
Closed Thread