UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2005, 12:09 pm   #1
milairuk
Pentode

Default Electroniques (Prop STC Ltd) Coil Packs

Can anyone throw some light on these 2 coilpacks made in the 60's by Electroniques ? The valve one is a GC166, which I know is a general coverage from 500KHz - 30MHz ish. The connections for this are not much of a problem as I cut my teeth on valves, but the later Transistor version has more of a mystery. Does anyone have any circuitry for these? I got both sort of working yesterday by feeding the 1.62MHz IF into my Comms Rx, but it would be nice to know more about the transistor version. The valve ones featured in many Ham projects (Also made a Hambands only version) and I am surprised at the total lack of info to be found on the internet for them.
Thanks for any help
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electroniques.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	2322  
Old 28th Dec 2005, 12:26 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Electroniques (Prop STC Ltd) Coil Packs

Hmmm! I presume the QP166 was the hambands only version. A circuit for this appears in the 'bible' of radio information...the RSGB handbook 1969 edition page 4.56, probably similar circuit to the general coverage one apart from coil switching. Can't help with the transistorised one though . I dont have scanning facilities at home but can do so at work if you think the QP166 circuit will be of help. Not 'till next week though.

Rich.
Old 28th Dec 2005, 12:44 pm   #3
milairuk
Pentode

Thanks for that Richard, Yes, I'm sure the hamband version was the QP166. I think I have the RSGB handbook up in the loft, will be about the same era, bit cold to go looking at present. If not in there I'll post again and take you up on your offer. Still hoping someone will unearth the Transistor one somewhere
John
Old 28th Dec 2005, 4:19 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

Hi John

I have an Electroniques Data Book (3/6d), which has about 6 pages of info on the Transistor Qoilpax Mk II - The hamband HB166T and the general coverage GC166T. Your picture seems to match the GC166T. Its list price is £16.16.0 with special p&p at five bob.

The data book is in 8.25" x 5.75" landscape format and has a description. specification, operating notes, outline diagrams, parts lists and circuit diagrams for both models. The transistors are 2 off BF152 and 2 off 2N706, with 2 BAY73 diodes shunting the input circuit and a ZB6.2 zener to stabilise one of the HT rails. There is a warning in the data book that the power supply is 12V @ 20mA with the chassis positive.

There is also six pages of info on the valved units.

Let me know if you would like more details.

Ron

Last edited by ronbryan; 28th Dec 2005 at 4:25 pm.
Old 28th Dec 2005, 4:40 pm   #5
milairuk
Pentode

Hi Ron

Fantastic is all I can say, I got the unit into life @9v so 12v will be no worries. Is there any chance you can scan the pages for me? If not perhaps photocopy (more than happy to pay costs etc) I'm especially keen to find out the voltages that need to be applied to the pins marked RF Gain and RF AGC. There is also another unmarked pin between the two RF pins which is wired internally - can you shed some light on this ? I used to have a similar book once, but it disappeared over the years. When I think back to all the valves and books I threw away when I got married Still that's life !
Old 28th Dec 2005, 6:15 pm   #6
ronbryan
Octode

I'll try to scan the info later tonight, but my old scanner may make a poor job of it as the paper is rather shiny and the component references on the circuits are very small characters.

The RF gain control is a 10k pot - connect an outside tag to grey, slider to green, other outside tag to red. If no AGC required, connect red to yellow. If AGC required, disconnect yellow from red and apply negative going AGC to yellow.

Ron
Old 28th Dec 2005, 6:31 pm   #7
milairuk
Pentode

Thanks Ron, anything well received.
Bit confused by the ref to a grey tag, mine looks brown and is not labelled, I will wait to see if I can make out on your scan. Just been up in the loft and further to Richard's post - I do have the RSGB Handbook showing the QP166 valve circuit so thanks for the memory jog. Looks like the Electroniques cat has been thrown though - c'est la vie.
Ron - I will send you a PM with my email link.
Many thanks for your help
John
Closed Thread