UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2016, 7:43 am   #1
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Duratool Desoldering Tool Emergency Tip Repair

This is by no means intended to be a fix but it will get you by until you can order a/some spare(s).

The tip on mine failed and wouldn't suck out the solder so I switched off and went for the spare I assumed I had. I didn't have one and I was mid job so I had to come up with something.

I found that the centre part of an appropriately sized rivet can be knocked out easily and will provide a perfect tube that can be press fitted into the end of the desoldering iron tip using a vice.

No more leak and with a little bit of filing, the 'refurbed' tip is very usable and will easily last until my order for more tips arrives. I usually file the end of old tips and keep them for point-to-point desoldering in valve equipment but such a tip is useless on PCBs. This solution, however, works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duratool_Desoldering_Tool_Emergency_Tip_Repair.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	126162  

Last edited by Ti Pwun; 17th Jun 2016 at 7:49 am.
Old 17th Jun 2016, 1:14 pm   #2

Default Re: Duratool Desoldering Tool Emergency Tip Repair

Probably last for ages as all 'quick fixes' do!

Old 17th Jun 2016, 4:29 pm   #3
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Thumbs up Re: Duratool Desoldering Tool Emergency Tip Repair

I've been using it all day without any problems so I may see how long it lasts before fitting a new one. 'If it aint broke...' and all that.

EDIT: I think the rivet next to the tip is the next size up, by the way. Now that I'm looking I doubt I fitted a rivet that size inside the tip. There is one in there, though, and it is working very well.
Old 18th Jun 2016, 2:40 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

is that a steel or aluminium rivet?
Old 19th Jun 2016, 2:35 am   #5
Ti Pwun
Heptode

It's aluminium, but even though the intention was only to keep the tool working until my order for replacemrents came in, I use it at 360°C so it's nowhere near the 660(ish)°C needed to melt aluminium so I wasn't too worried about it.

It looks exactly as it did when I fitted it and it's hardly been off since then...
Old 21st Jun 2016, 3:25 pm   #6
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Update:

The rivel finally failed this afternoon. Well, not so much failed but it did become loose and threatened to fall out a couple of times.

Still, as a temporary fix until more tips can be ordered, I would still recommend it if you're in the position that I was at the time. It had a lot of use in the days since it was fitted.

I will, of course, keep more than one or two spare tips in stock in future.
Closed Thread