UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 11th Aug 2017, 8:58 pm   #1
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Default Racal Type Mains Plug Wanted

Hi
Can anyone identify this mains socket from the photo? The body of the connector is about 11mm dia, so it's quite small. I removed it from a Racal MA1720 some time ago and wired the mains in directly. It's a bit of a messy fit, so I would like to put it back to it's original condition. I need a matching female plug. Any suggestions for where I might get one?
Thanks
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170811_211416.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	147704  
Jeffreyabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2017, 9:04 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Octode

Default Re: Racal Type Mains Plug Wanted

It looks like one of the Mil-spec connectors of which there are many versions...

I wonder if this is the right mating part :

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mil-sp...ctors/8139664/

but given the price I would want to check before ordering it.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2017, 9:37 pm   #3
turretslug
Octode

I have several NOS of these (female 3-pin line) in stock...somewhere... but in natural (plain alloy) finish. I'll drop one in the post when I find them if you like,

Colin
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2017, 10:11 pm   #4
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Thanks Tony, that was quick!
It looks to be the exact plug that I need.
I had a closer look at the connector and, what I thought was scratches in the paint was some lettering about 1mm high.
Amphenol GB 62GB -57A8-33P
I spent some time looking at the ilinks on RS site, and, it was all there in the guide - the catalogue was a bit much. The code you gave me is the exact match for the plug to my receptacle. But what a price.
I haven't ordered anything from RS before - Trade only. Can anyone put in order?
Regards
Jeff
Old 11th Aug 2017, 10:15 pm   #5
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Hi Colin
That would be great. Colour isn't a problem. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful people on this site are. I'll send you a PM.
Regards
Jeff
Old 12th Aug 2017, 7:39 pm   #6
turretslug
Octode

Jeff, the good news is that I was able to quickly find said connectors, the bad news is that the pins appear to be rotated 60 degrees relative to the keying profile compared to the panel plug in your first post. (In keeping with the principle that lots of connector permutations should be available to manufacturers so that even the most battle-shocked, ham-fisted or even blind-drunk operative should be able to unambiguously change complex sub-units in pitch-darkness without mix-ups- but making it all the more difficult for aftermarket users like us to track down the right bits....). Excuse the poorly focussed close-ups from my elderly "smart"-phone, but they at least give an idea of the polarising of said connectors, plus the panel socket that they do mate with in shot #4. I tried gently pressing the insert out of the shell in case it offered 60 degree rotation options but no joy- more force might have shifted it but I chickened out,

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Pin Bayonet #1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	147759   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Pin Bayonet #2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	147760   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Pin Bayonet #3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	147761   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Pin Bayonet #4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	147762  
Old 12th Aug 2017, 9:08 pm   #7
Biggles
Octode

Jeff, RS are quite happy to deal with general orders on line without having a trade account. Free postage too, and very quick delivery times.
Alan.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2017, 6:42 pm   #8
vosperd
Hexode

I did the same with my 1720 but I recently acquired a plug complete with lead from Electrojumble. Not sure if he has any more though. Worth checking I guess. Just had to rewire the connections as it was for a different piece of Racal kit.
Don m5aky
vosperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2017, 8:45 pm   #9
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Hi - a bit of a catchup.
David, many thanks for sorting out your plugs, it's just one of those things that they were for a different orientation. Also thanks for trying to push the insert out, I hope you haven't damaged it in trying.
Biggles, thanks for that info, its years ago that I had anything from RS, and only through a friend who had an account with them.
Don, thanks for that lead. I have had a look at their website & couldn't find anything suitable. However, I will call them tomorrow & see if they can help.
Regards
Jeff
Old 13th Aug 2017, 10:34 pm   #10
turretslug
Octode

Yeah, it's a shame that the orientation is different- I'd hoped that I'd be able to send a connector to good use, it's one of the great things about a forum like this (re-homing of scarce junk, so to speak!). I didn't put too much effort into pushing the insert out beyond establishing that it was likely either bonded in or pressed in with some process probably involving industrial hydraulics or the like. Possibly, the insert could be extracted with a press or vice and appropriate drift, but it might get damaged in the process.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 11:38 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Location: Near Witney, Oxfordshire, or Leominster, Herefordshire.

Non standard keying rotations for MIL-C-26482 connectors are both useful for idiot proofing equipment and a right PITA to acquire unless you have deep pockets AND want lots of them! 12-10series 10-pin X or Y keyed types I can occasionally acquire ( we used to use them at work in hermetic welded in form as male receptacles mated to ordinary cable mount female plugs).

After the -8-33P bit there should be another letter N, W, X, Y or Z to indicate the keying rotation. N or normal keying is the only type you'll find in the usual "sheds".

Short of finding the holy grail, your best one off fix might be to change for a pair of matching N-keyed connectors!
.........O...Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2017, 7:23 am   #12
vosperd
Hexode

A bit more info which might help.
The connector I received from Electrojumble is numbered:
Amphenol GB 62GB 16J8-3.3S(044).
The lead, AT36365.
As I said, the live neutral and earth all had to be rewired. (I think I rewired the chassis connector rather than dismantle the free socket)
I checked and it does fit my socket.
Look for CON9842 on the electrojumble site.
Good luck.
Don m5aky

Last edited by vosperd; 14th Aug 2017 at 7:49 am.
vosperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:38 pm   #13
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Firstly, thanks to all who have helped me with this search. Sadly, I have decided to give up on finding the mating plug to the power socket. It's really small. Even the small bulgin plug/socket I had was way too big & I didn't fancy opening the hole up for it to fit -very little room.
I searched the internet to find an alternative supplier to RS, without success. At 37 it's a bit too much for a plug. I tried Electrojumble, who hadn't got anything suitable, but offered me a small gland to fit the hole in the panel. I gratefully accepted it and fitted it to the 1720. It looks fine and much better than the lashup that was there before.
Many thanks
Jeff G6CQH