UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2015, 11:05 pm   #21
robin coleman
Hexode

Default Re: Servant Bell Board.

I have recently acquired the box from one in the last couple of days while getting some firewood.
These articles should help me make the coils and flags to fit the box out again as the crowbar em had ruined the box and glass.

Regards,

Robin.
Old 16th Apr 2015, 8:32 pm   #22
dominic
Retired Dormant Member

Hi - Love this thread and I'm restoring a system too. I know it's an old thread but do you remember where you got replacement flags from?

Thanks
Old 17th Apr 2015, 4:59 pm   #23
Station X

I used Microsoft Paint software to create artwork for new striped flags and printed them on to stiff glossy card.

If that's what you need I'll try to find the artwork for you.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Apr 2015, 8:25 pm   #24
robin coleman
Hexode

I would like to make the flags and I will have to rewind the coils
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 9:22 pm   #25
Station X

Three posts moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=127529

Old 3rd Jul 2017, 3:33 pm   #26
Station X

I made a battery box to go with the bell board some time ago. It's a dummy as I plan to power the board from a wall wart.

Real discharged modern cells were used. They have all plastic cases, so there's little danger of the electrolyte leaking out. I printed new labels from a scan supplied by Dave Moll and covered them in heat shrink sleeving. The fabric covered wiring, which goes nowhere came, I think, from an old cooker.

I have a 12 channel wireless control unit with 12 fobs which I intend using with this. Early experiments have run into problems though with sparks from the bell contacts latching the receiver on. A standard CR suppressor hasn't cured this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	145573  

Old 6th Jul 2017, 9:16 pm   #27
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I have a 12 channel wireless control unit with 12 fobs which I intend using with this. Early experiments have run into problems though with sparks from the bell contacts latching the receiver on. A standard CR suppressor hasn't cured this.
I would try running at 25Hz (series diode) with the interrupter shorted out,

A couple I know have just bought a house with an 8 flag annunciator in the kitchen, surprisingly it all seems to work after a fashion, despite the original cotton covered wiring showing no sign of any modern repairs.

I have promised to restore it as a housewarming present. At the very least I will strip the layers of paint off the cabinet and apply varnish, and also strip the gong and see if what lies beneath can be polished.

I also have memories of annunciators at family member's houses as a child, particularly those in Edinburgh, where they seemed to be common. My paternal grandparents lived in a Victorian flat in Forrest Road Edinburgh and had a mechanical system with three bells on springs in the kitchen, and even the latch on the front door could be lifted remotely with a heavy brass lever on the landing.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 10:22 am   #28
peter_scott
Dekatron

I still have one from the Edinburgh flat I bought in 1972. It was installed in the kitchen which presumably was where the maid spent her time. Apart from the front door and stair door it proclaims two bedrooms, which it did have but also a dining room which I assume was the living room as it didn't have a dining room
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Indicator.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	145782   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	145783  
Old 7th Jul 2017, 7:20 pm   #29

Quote:
Early experiments have run into problems though with sparks from the bell contacts latching the receiver on.
How about a transistor booster, small and only resistive load for the contacts.

Old 8th Jul 2017, 1:23 am   #30
Alistair D
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
I still have one from the Edinburgh flat I bought in 1972. It was installed in the kitchen which presumably was where the maid spent her time. Apart from the front door and stair door it proclaims two bedrooms, which it did have but also a dining room which I assume was the living room as it didn't have a dining room
The servant bell board in the kitchen makes sense to me. Many Edinburgh Victorian flats(including the one I owned) had a recess in one wall of the kitchen that was known as the bed recess. I presume that is where the maid slept.

Al
Old 8th Jul 2017, 4:44 am   #31
TonyDuell
Dekatron

My late parents' house (4 bedroom, detached, SW London) was built in the 1930s, and it originally had bell pushes in all the rooms apart from the smallest bedroom, which was always said to be the maid's room. There was even a push in the bathroom, on the wall by the bath. When my parents bought it (1966) there was still the indicator box in the kitchen, over the door to the hall.

They threw it out. I never forgave them for doing that!
Old 8th Jul 2017, 8:24 am   #32
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair D View Post
The servant bell board in the kitchen makes sense to me. Many Edinburgh Victorian flats(including the one I owned) had a recess in one wall of the kitchen that was known as the bed recess. I presume that is where the maid slept.
Yes, indeed. I was standing in the bed recess when I took this photo.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kitchen2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	145826  
Old 8th Jul 2017, 2:43 pm   #33
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

That was my dad's bedroom! I slept in there once or twice when we visited my grandparents. I hadn't realised it was the servants recess, as it had long since been partitioned from the kitchen and made into an actual room albeit tiny.
The door to it was off the lounge I think.
It was called the darkroom because it was. Actually I think there was a window high up in the partition with the kitchen, but grandpa was far too frugal to leave the kitchen light on.

He really did greet us with "You'll have had yer tea".
Closed Thread