UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2017, 4:10 pm   #1
regentone001
Heptode

Default Shorted turn linearity sleeve.

I am wondering if there is anyway of knowing how a shorted turn linearity sleeve should be orientated on the neck of a tube?
I know that pushing it in too far can cause the scan coils to overheat but how do you know the orientation? I ask because the plastic bit is missing off the ones in my Regentone 17-18 which uses an AW43 88 tube and I am wondering if it is set right.
thanks
Steve
Old 24th Jul 2017, 6:55 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Shorted turn linearity sleeve.

It's been many years since I dealt with one.

From memory the copper loop should be E-W, or to put it another way the gap in the sleeve should point down, or up but not left or right.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 7:25 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Might be wrong but I seem to remember the gap was either on the left or the right.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 7:57 pm   #4
Colourstar
Octode

If it's any help, I'm currently reading an article in Practical Television (Jan 1963) on servicing the Ultra 17-70 series sets and Les Lawry Johns says:

"The sleeve must not be pushed too far into the deflection coils as not only will the width of the picture be affected but overheating may occur. The sleeve has a locating key or slot which must be to the side of the tube neck, never to the top or bottom. It should be on the right hand side viewed from the rear."

Steve
Old 24th Jul 2017, 8:00 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/a...3&d=1248112057

The locating lug that slides into the scan assembly former, the gap will be on the opposite side:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...8&d=1202060326

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 8:40 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Information from the service information for the Ferguson 506T.
Adjusting the line linearity sleeve:

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201724.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	146748  
Old 24th Jul 2017, 8:49 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Here's another one with the locating lug on the RH side, the gap would be on the opposite side so far as I can remember, so gap on the left in this case?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&d=1281551956

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 11:15 pm   #8
1100 man
Octode

Hi Regentone,
Well there's something I didn't know that I didn't know The scan coils on the GEC that I am doing have completely fallen to bits as has the linearity sleeve. I just poked the sleeve in any old how without giving it any thought!!
At Harpenden earlier this year, I walked past the B&B stall near the end of the day and Brian thrust a box containing some brand new scan coils for a Baird 620 into my hand saying they are yours for £1
One still has an intact lin sleeve with the plastic still attached. The locating lug is OPPOSITE the split in the cardboard sleeve but the whole sleeve can be fitted into the coils in one of four positions!!
Looking at the above pictures suggests that the plastic 'wings' face up and down and so the locating lug would go either to the left or right.
I found this picture of the Sobell 1000 which clearly shows the 'wings' facing up and down.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38042

So long as they face up and down, I doubt if it matters if the lug goes to the left or right.
I was hoping to use the plastic from the 620 coils to rebuild my GEC coils but having studied it for ages can't see how on earth they were made in the first place or how to get it to bits!!
Any ideas??
Cheers
Nick

Last edited by 1100 man; 24th Jul 2017 at 11:17 pm. Reason: forgot to sign post!
Closed Thread