UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2017, 5:32 pm   #21
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Small Sidecutter Recommendation

A vote for Lindstrom here, too- if you're keen and your wallet will stretch to it! I have often heard CK praised and I do use them day-to-day but in the past I have had the jaws on CK side-cutters fracture and break off just trimming standard copper tails on PCBs- poor treatment process. I suspect that they may be a victim of "Germanism"- the acqusition of a renowned brand by a multi-national corporation whose bean-counters out-source and steadily erode production costs but continue to ask a premium price solely on the basis of the brand.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 5:47 pm   #22
af024
Octode

Lindstrom gets my thumbs up - had a pair (green arms) for well over 30 years and still as good as ever - fantastic!

Last edited by af024; 22nd Jul 2017 at 5:48 pm. Reason: sp
Old 25th Jul 2017, 3:46 pm   #23
BulgingCap
Pentode

I seem to recall that my Lindstrom full flush oblique cutters, which are still going strong after 40 years, are rated at 1mm un-tinned copper wire. This sprang to mind today whilst repairing a Chinese made SMPS that had corroded (rusty) resistor leads and board interconnects. Many components from The Middle Kingdom have plated steel leads.
Just a thought.
One of my Lindstroms has a notch in the cutter blades from when it was borrowed without permission and someone (incidentally, in China...) cut a locking wire on a screw with them.
BC
Old 26th Jul 2017, 8:50 am   #24
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks for all the posts, its a big help. I may opt for CK, purely on price, though when Im more flush I will probably get some Lindstroms.

I instantly recognised the pictures of Erem cutters that were posted, as my other half has some for modelling work and I occasionally pinch them!

They are great and very small for fitting into hard to reach areas
Old 26th Jul 2017, 9:30 am   #25
bobskie
Hexode

I have a CK wire stripper which seems very well made and does the job perfectly. I haven't had it for long but it seems like a good quality bit of kit. I need to look at getting myself some new sidecutters my cheap pair got ruined just cutting a few capacitors.
Old 26th Jul 2017, 10:02 am   #26
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Though these are really cheap, I've used them for a few years now for snipping component wires:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d030...s-5/dp/TL08617
No good for hard steel, of course, but for anything like that I use my Leatherman - though seeming expensive they have never failed me.
http://www.leatherman.co.uk/wave/10....lor=41#start=1
Old 1st Aug 2017, 1:34 am   #27
Damo666
Hexode

Default Re: Small Sidecutter Reccommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8UWM-MildMartin View Post
The cheap Chinese blue-handled copies of Plato ones are much better than I expected for the price, and worth having half a dozen of in addition to a "best" pair.
I have a few pairs of these that have served me well for a couple of years, but 1 pair isn't quite as sharp as the others.

They cost be 99p per piece from China via eBay.
Closed Thread