UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2017, 10:15 am   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Rural telephone exchange - Braithwaite, Keswick

I thought the images below might be of some interest to telephony afficionados here. They show a small telephone exchange (as far as I know, still in use) in the village of Braithwaite on the outskirts of Keswick, Cumbria.

Obviously, it no longer contains the original Strowger equipment for which it was built, so the rear building (which appears to be the actual exchange building) probably just has a small piece of modern electronics connecting the village's telephones to the "main" exchange in Keswick. The front building appears to contain some sort of generator, judging by the exhaust pipe sticking out of the window.

I wonder how many similar untis there are dotted around the country.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Braithwaite Exchange - front building.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	146545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Braithwaite Exchange - rear building.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	146546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Braithwaite Exchange - rear detail.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	146547  
Old 21st Jul 2017, 10:41 am   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Rural telephone exchange - Braithwaite, Keswick

Ther used to be a number in the far north of Scotland but I can't say I have noticed them lately.

When we first started going up there in the '70's their telephone system was very basic to say the least except for the mix of old and modern technology along the north coast. The main cable run in a ditch along the side of the road on the Wick - John O Groats road an periodically the cable run up a post to a junction, as you head west the cable ran across open fields and through culverts until it reached somewhere around Durness when there was a big loch where it entered a box with a microwave dish on top pointing to another one on the other side.

Peter
Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:09 am   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
There used to be a number in the far north of Scotland but I can't say I have noticed them lately...
Lots of these buildings are still there. My wife and I have just returned from a three week tour of the far north-west including Tongue, Durness, Ullapool and Applecross, and I spotted several of them. Many are probably not in use but it would cost BT money to demolish them.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:29 pm   #4
Euros1951
Triode

The smaller of the two buildings was probably to house the first automatic exchange- usually an UAX12. The second building looks as if it housed a SAX, but perhaps an UAX13.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 2:46 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There's a similar-looking one on the A4 just East of Hungerford, though it's in a bit of a state of disrepair.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 3:05 pm   #6
electronicskip
Nonode

I actually had a friend who managed to purchase a defunct telephone exchange up in Scotland a few years ago.
He wanted to convert it into a holiday home but couldn't get planning permission for some reason.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 5:12 pm   #7
Biggles
Rest in Peace

The telephone exchange equipment we use at work now doesn't need much accommodation. Just two shelves about three U high in a little 19" rack. Granted they are "small" ones but they certainly don't need the large buildings of old. Standby gennies etc probably take up most space, although we tend to use a bank of batteries instead.
Alan.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 6:58 pm   #8
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I thought the images below might be of some interest to telephony afficionados here. They show a small telephone exchange (as far as I know, still in use) in the village of Braithwaite on the outskirts of Keswick, Cumbria.

Obviously, it no longer contains the original Strowger equipment for which it was built, so the rear building (which appears to be the actual exchange building) probably just has a small piece of modern electronics connecting the village's telephones to the "main" exchange in Keswick. The front building appears to contain some sort of generator, judging by the exhaust pipe sticking out of the window.

I wonder how many similar units there are dotted around the country.
The first 'Braithwaite' number was 'Braithwaite 1' but there was no exchange! In 1923 we find a 'Call Office' with the number 'Braithwaite 1' in the village Post Office - it was the practice where was no exchange to have a line off the nearest 'main' exchange (Keswick' in this case) but give t the name of the village it was in.

Braithwaite exchange opened on 8th April 1925 as a small manual exchange (Central Battery Signalling No 2 system) with about 15 lines on it, located in the Braithwaite village post office. In 1937 it went automatic with 45 lines on a UAX12 located in the smaller 'A' type building that now houses the generator. By 1955 the number lines was into the eighties and the UAX12 could only serve 90 lines (unless it was extended to a UAX12X (essentially two UAX12's in a Linked Numbering Scheme which could handle 165 lines). Thus by early 1956, it had been replaced by a UAX13 which in its initial form could handle 200 lines. As a UAX13, those who had been on the waiting list could be connected and we find 96 lines at the end of March1956. STD arrived in 1969 together with the 999 service! then sometime after 1985, it went digital with System Y concentrator.

It is a typical story for many rural exchanges, particularly the smaller ones. The small rural buildings for automatic exchanges started in 1929 with the small flat topped 'A' type buildings which were later replaced with the pitched roof 'A' type as at Braithwaite.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Braithwaite_1_1923.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	146586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hampton UAX5 001.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	146587   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_UAX No 5 Advert 1929.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	146588  
Old 21st Jul 2017, 7:12 pm   #9
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Fascinating. I have been through Braithwaite many a time but failed to notice this building. I will have to look harder next time. In our local area we have a few of the old repeater stations alongside the main roads and one has recently been converted to camping barn style accommodation alongside the "Military Road" (B6318) and Hadrian's Wall.
Alan.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 7:37 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Look out for the public toilets (though these are currently under threat of closure) near the main bus stop. As you face the toilet block, the exchange is on its right, set back from the road.

Thank you to Pellseinydd for the history of the exchange. I rather suspected you would know if anyone did!
Old 21st Jul 2017, 7:50 pm   #11
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Fascinating. I have been through Braithwaite many a time but failed to notice this building. I will have to look harder next time. In our local area we have a few of the old repeater stations alongside the main roads and one has recently been converted to camping barn style accommodation alongside the "Military Road" (B6318) and Hadrian's Wall.
Alan.
See this for Braithwaite https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.60...7i13312!8i6656

I assume that this is 'The Old Repeater Station' ? https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.02...7i13312!8i6656 It's on the 1957 OS map but not the 1952 one.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 8:37 pm   #12
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I understand the former BT repeater station on the A6 at the top of Shap has been converted to a small music venue.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:44 pm   #13
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Yes, that's "The Old Repeater Station". It's just up the road from me. I drive past it regularly on my way to jobs in Cumbria.
Alan.
Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:55 pm   #14
brunel
Heptode

This is SPOFFORTH EXCHANGE, I do have an older picture of it, but cannot remember where it is at the mo.

SPOFFORTH, between Wetherby & Harrogate.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.95...-GB&authuser=0
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 8:22 am   #15
Pellseinydd
Heptode

A typical setup ! See http://www.geograph.org.uk/of/telephone+exchange
for more.

But there are some you're very unlikely to drive by ! See attached ones! To get back on subject - see the vintage equipment recovered.

Old Canna exchange (a 10ft by 8ft garden shed) is in the Inner Hebrides and you can't get anymore remote than the exchange on Foula - BT's most remote exchange way out in the Atlantic to the west of the Shetland Islands. That took some bringing back - an eight day round trip!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Canna exchange & the main road!.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	146613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canna IAX5 exchange.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	146614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foula-from-space.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	146615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foula exchange looking north x2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	146616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foula changeover 12.7.1995 exchange on right.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	146617  

Last edited by Pellseinydd; 22nd Jul 2017 at 8:43 am.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 10:27 pm   #16
Oldcodger
Nonode

Few others you'd be hard pushed to walk to ( Soay springs to mind - something like a 6'x4 garden hut perched on a hillside ). But both UAX (5/12/13, 5 from memory had no dial tone ) and repeater buildings for CEL 6/6A were almost identical, although most repeaters had no need for generators as power for the equipment was fed over the coax.
Closed Thread