UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2017, 7:08 am   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Sticky thread on all sections - general advice.

I've just answered too threads posted by relatively inexperienced members. I gave the same general advice twice. EG.

DO NOT PLUG IT IN.

BEWARE, HIGH VOLTAGES PRESENT WHICH CAN KILL.

Do a thorough visual inspection looking for burnt components, leaky capacitors etc.

Make a lamp limiter.

Buy a DMM = a digital multimeter. Use it to check if you have power by checking voltages.

USE THE SEARCH BOX if you want to know how to test capacitors etc.

I noticed that there isn't this sort of sticky on all sections. some section's have a sticky that deal with testing transistors, in the components section for instance but you have to go to the Radio section for replacing capacitors.

Might it be a good idea to have a general what to do first when you get your radio, record player,hifi, reel to reel etc sticky, with links to all the various "How to stickys" ?

I know some folk don't read em, but it would save a lot of us giving the same advice over and over. We could just point them to the general sticky.

Andy.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 7:12 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Sticky thread on all section's - general advice.

No, but there is a disclaimer at https://www.vintage-radio.net/rules.html#warning, which is referenced at the bottom of every page of the forum.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 8:00 am   #3
Neutrino
Pentode

The WARNING AND DISCLAIMER is red against a grey background which is not the best for contrast. Perhaps the International safety symbol "Caution, risk of electric shock" (ISO 3864) could be added.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_voltage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High_voltage_warning.svg (2).png
Views:	58
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	140988  
Old 15th Apr 2017, 11:29 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I know Dave but it's not that prominant. Apart from warning of mains voltage I was thinking more on the lines of practical advice, the sort of thing most of us do every time before we plug vintage gear in, so it can be seen on every section.

Andy.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 11:50 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Perhaps Paul S might feel able to give consideration how to make this more prominent and whether inclusion of such practical advice would be appropriate.
Old 15th Apr 2017, 1:11 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The existing warning has sufficed until now with no issues, so I see no reason to change it or make it more prominent. It links to the full version in the Forum Rules which all new members are supposed to read and have confirmed they agree to. It's not our problem if people don't bother to read it, as long as it is there and not hidden.

Regarding general advice threads, the problem then is that people will simply post links to that rather than offering specific individual responses. That sort of thing happens on some other forums, and just frustrates and alienates new members. Anyone who has spent time on certain Linux and other IT forums will have seen this a lot, and the type of responses they get.

This is a discussion forum with individual discussions, not a helpdesk with stock answers. Let's keep it that way.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 15th Apr 2017, 1:19 pm   #7

Default Re: Sticky thread on all sections - general advice.

Quote:
This is a discussion forum with individual discussions, not a helpdesk with stock answers. Let's keep it that way.
Seconded!

Old 16th Apr 2017, 5:01 am   #8
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Sticky thread on all sections - general advice.

Oh well, just an idea after I'd repeated myself twice yesterday and quite a few times in the past.

Thread can be closed in that case.

TFL, Andy.