UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2015, 7:03 pm   #1
Royce77
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV 2419 Radiogram records not in stereo

Hi I have just purchased a HMV 2419 radiogram, I've got the turntable working as it was completely stuck. The radio works fine and in stereo but when I play a record the sound only comes out one side any suggestions to what may be the problem. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 11th Oct 2015, 7:39 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV 2419 Radiogram records not in stereo

Possibly a faulty cartridge (pickup), the wiring between the p.u. and the audio amplifier stages, or the function selector switch(es). Does the radio play through both loudspeakers?
Old 12th Oct 2015, 7:12 pm   #3
Royce77
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hmv 2400

Hi we have just got an HMV2419 and the inspection date on it is 1973. Working but one or two things wrong with it so hope someone on here can give us some help.

The radio works fine and both speakers are ok but when you use the record player only one speaker appears to work, any idea as to what is causing this.

The indicator bulb has blown and I wanted to know what bulb could be used to replace the one in there which is a VTY G589 14v.8W

It is a nice piece of furniture and hopefully will get it up and running perfectly.
Old 12th Oct 2015, 10:02 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 2419 Radiogram records not in stereo

Definitely sounds as though the pick-up cartridge has packed up. Can you post a picture of it, or find a reference number you can quote? If you can do this,we can tell you which wires to swap over, and if the sound then comes out of the other speaker, it will prove that it is the cartridge at fault. At A guess, I would think it is a BSR cartridge, as this is what HMV usually used at that time. If it is, then swap the wires on the two pins marked R+ and L+, and then see what happens.

Barry
Closed Thread