UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2015, 7:14 pm   #1
eddyboyd
Retired Dormant Member

Default RCA AR-8516L Comms RX

Can anyone please direct me to a source where i can find a manual + cct diagram for this rx please? Am willing to pay.
Old 12th Oct 2015, 8:00 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: RCA AR8516L Comms RX

Google found this:

http://www.shopingathome.com/Circuit...ne%20Radio.htm

I've no knowledge of the source.

I last saw an AR8516L back in 69/70 when a friend bought one in like new condition.

David
Old 12th Oct 2015, 8:31 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There was also a description of the 8516 [and its design/implementation issues] in a couple of 1960s Practical Wireless editions.

A certain US site has the PDFs of these articles. As a sidenote, the 8516 was *not* a spectacular performer or an easy-to-service beastie.
Old 12th Oct 2015, 8:31 pm   #4
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I've bought a number of manuals from that source over the years, both paper and downloads, and always had quick, efficient, and friendly service.
Andy
Old 12th Oct 2015, 10:04 pm   #5
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

Have a look at posts 17 and 18 on the thread
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=79661
- Peter
Old 13th Oct 2015, 8:56 am   #6
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: RCA AR-8516L Comms RX

I have a copy of the manual but it's too large a file (4.828MB) to post here. PM me with an email address and I will send it over.

As I recall the PW article was rather gushing about its merits - while others since have pointed out the rather serious deficiencies of this receiver.

Richard
Old 13th Oct 2015, 11:51 am   #7
deliverance
Heptode

It has flaws for sure but a lovely looking receiver good luck restoring it.
Old 13th Oct 2015, 1:17 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

They look fabulous, and having used one in as-new condition at a rather impressionable period of my youth, it did impress me.

There is something, however about these receivers. They only made the grade as a grade 'B' marine set. There weren't many made, and then the whole lot seemed to be released onto the amateur market in a surge in the mid/late sixties. People have asked before about what happened and why.

The gear drive mechanism for that 'sector' knob and preselector tuning is quite impressive.

But back at the end of the 60's boy did it have Wow factor.

The CRM-R6A version is maybe a better bet if you want a receiver for serious use.

David