UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2011, 5:10 pm   #1
old codger
Retired Dormant Member

Default Problem with tone arm carriage on HF35

Hi Guys

I've just got hold of a fidelity HF35 as a present for my daughter and for some reason when a few 7" singles are loaded onto the spindle, the first disc drops and the tone arm stops at 12" LP start point, however after correcting the position of the tone arm manually to the start of the 7" single and when the record has finished playing for all subsequent 7" singles loaded on the spindle the tone arm movements revert to the correct start point for a 7" single?

Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

Thanks
Old 6th Oct 2011, 6:12 pm   #2
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Problem with tone arm carriage on HF35

Could be the "age old" problem of hardened grease on parts of the deck mechanism. If it hasn't been used in ages it may need some "maintenance" doing - look at the "stickes" at the top of the threads for some pretty decent guidance!!
Old 6th Oct 2011, 6:16 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Is the changer one with a "12 / 10 / 7" switch to set the record size, or a measuring finger which gets struck by a 10 or 12 inch record on the way down?

If it is the latter type, touching the measuring finger while loading records onto the spindle will cause the symptom you describe. It gets reset during the end-of-song cycle, so the second and all subsequent records will be measured correctly.
Old 10th Oct 2011, 1:25 pm   #4
old codger
Retired Dormant Member

No it's got the BSR 4 deck i think., no option to change sizes.
Old 10th Oct 2011, 4:25 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

So it is the earlier type, which measures the record size with a sticking-out finger that is struck gently by a 25cm. record, hard by a 30cm. record and not at all by an 18cm. record?

The behaviour you describe (first record played as larger size than it really is, subsequent records played properly) is typical of what happens if the measuring finger has been inadvertently depressed at some stage before the stack of records was loaded.

What happens when you load a fresh stack of records (2 is enough for testing, and in any case you can cut off mid-song by moving the start control to REJECT and letting go), being careful not to disturb the measuring finger?