UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2006, 8:41 am   #1
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation Advice on a sticking meter.

I am trying to get my Radar 202 tube tester working, but find the meter is sticking at about 90% deflection in its normal working position, if I then switch off power and tap the unit it goes back to zero, if I lean the unit well over on an angle forward it will make 100% deflection sometimes !!! can anyone advise on this problem.
Old 27th Sep 2006, 4:22 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Radar Type 202 Tube Tester sticking meter

Sounds like it needs cleaning, adjustment and lubrication. Not a DIY job in my opinion unless you're good at watch making.

See this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ht=herts+meter

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Sep 2006, 4:48 pm   #3
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Graham whatever is causing it to stick cant be very much as it will reach FSD with the case tilted well over, in the first instance I think I might try getting the movement out, and having a really close look at it, whether the pivot bearing is adjustable I don't know.
I might get away with just a drop of oil, I suppose if I cant fix it. I will have to send it away could be expensive We used to have a couple of very old clockmakers locally that might well have been able to do the job but they have now passed away. I may be able to still use it as it is for checking tubes as it would not need to reach more than the 90% deflection that it can manage now.
Old 27th Sep 2006, 5:16 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Den
I would think that the pivots are adjustable, but be careful - they should never need adjusting unless someone else has been at it, and the pivot jewels are very easy to crack - that will end in tears!
Watch oil or very fine clock oil is needed, but very little indeed. No oil at all should be visible and the pivot screws really need removing to clean the pivots and jewels and to apply oil.

You need a strong loupe and a very steady hand for this stuff.

Before going there, make sure the needle is not fouling the scale or glass, nothing is bent and there is no ferrous debris stuck to the magnet gap (usual fault). A sliver of Plasticine is needed to get it out.
HTH
Old 27th Sep 2006, 5:34 pm   #5
Chris_C
Hexode

Den,

Mike has covered it all but you might find the attached article of some use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Meters.pdf (245.6 KB, 172 views)
Old 27th Sep 2006, 6:09 pm   #6
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Hi many thanks for replies Mike where do I get clock oil from ?, Chris that is a very handy little article
Old 27th Sep 2006, 7:22 pm   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Den
http://www.m-p.co.uk - Meadows and Passmore. Usual disclaimer.
It looks expensive, but there is enough to service about a thousand clocks - my 100ml bottle is about 15 years old now!