UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2015, 11:04 pm   #21
Grant L
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 706 problem

Thanks Dave and Andy.
I think it is an NTE5 box. I'll have a look tomorrow.
Cheers
Grant
Old 31st Jul 2015, 8:29 am   #22
julie_m
Dekatron

If it is an NTE5, then it's an easy job.

If it's not an NTE5, but an old-style master socket, you'll have to improvise a little. Get an NTE5 and replacement whole-house-filter faceplate, and wire this to two wires out of the three-way terminal block; A is pin 5, B is pin 2, ignore pin 3. Now connect your extension wiring to the new faceplate.
Old 31st Jul 2015, 9:58 am   #23
andy1702
Retired Dormant Member

If it's an NTE5 there will be twoscrews on the front. Undoing the two screws will allow you to remove the lower half of the front plate, which will unplug an internal plug and socket at the same time. If that happens then it's definitely an NTE5.
Old 31st Jul 2015, 3:01 pm   #24
Grant L
Retired Dormant Member

Here is a picture of what is behind the kickboard. Bit of a mess!
I'm assuming this is an NTE5 front - without its backing box.
You can see the black cable coming in with the white and orange wires.
Then the orange/white, blue/white and white/blue wires coming out and going to an electrical connector block. The other side of this block has the 5 cables running off behind walls.
There is nothing plugged into the front of the box.
If I get the box which Dave suggests with the phone and ADSL front on it, do I copy the wiring exactly the same as in the picture and simple plug the router into the new front OR make up a telephone lead which plugs into the front of the new NTE5 then goes to the electrical connector block with the 5 cables or is that the same anyway?

My only problem if this works is having my router plugged into this!
Even though it is wireless I always have the router connected by cable to my pc as they're side by side. Using wireless it would mean having the router behind the kickboard - which wouldn't be convenient when I occasionally have to switch router on and off when I lose internet connection!
I could drill a hole in corner of worktop and have router sitting on the work top but I don't see that going down too well!
I'm determined to give this suggested solution a go, as I want to see if it works.

Grant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	master box.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	111256  
Old 31st Jul 2015, 5:01 pm   #25
andy1702
Retired Dormant Member

Wow! That's quite interesting wiring you've got there! It looks like it's a surface mounted NTE5 but without any surface to mount it on. If you turn it around you should see two screw in it which can be undone and the bottom section will pull off (it's upside down as it is in the photo).

What I think you'll need to do is get the new face plate with the ADSL filter built in. It's actually just the bottom bit, which they class as the customer serviceable bit, but it also covers the top part because it's a funny shape. Then you'll need a bit of normal phone extension lead with the plug on the end. Strip the other end of this lead and use it to replace the bit of wire that currently goes between the box and the terminal block. The end with the plug on now plugs into the new socket which will be mounted on the new ADSL faceplace. You'll find the old 3 wires are actually on the old bit of the faceplate you'll be removing, so that bit and the wires can be binned.

So what you'll end up with is the current box with the same inputs from the black cable, but without any hard wired outputs. You will then have the new faceplate screwed on, which will automatically plug into the hidden test socket in the master box. Your new bit of cable with the BT plug then plugs into the new faceplate so whatever signal goes down this new cable has the ADSL filtered out. Other end of this cable goes to the terminal block.

Your router will plug into a new ADSL socket which you'll find on the new faceplate. If you want to have the router away from the master socket, then the simplest option is to get a very long ADSL cable to connect it up. The thing you need to remember is the ADSL will have been filtered out from all your extensions by the new faceplate, so you shouldn't have any ADSL filters or your router plugged into any of the current extensions once you've done this re-wiring. You're effectively separating the router cable from the phone cables at the master socket.

When you've done that we'll be trying to convince you to get a PABX box, such as a BT Revelation, so you effectively have your own exchange between your five different extensions. Don't say we didn't warn you!

Andy.
Old 31st Jul 2015, 11:20 pm   #26
Grant L
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Andy.
Ordered NTE5 box tonight.
Will let you know!

Grant
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 12:01 pm   #27
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, I haven't had a lot of experience with ADSL filtered faceplates as I use cable broadband (both at home and in a working environment) but if both the unfiltered ADSL and the filtered voice line are available on the Krone connectors on the rear of the faceplate, i.e. the bit that detaches from the main socket, it might be an idea to use one pair of the multi-pair extension wiring for your voice signal and a second pair for your ADSL feed to a second socket close to your computer where your router is situated.

I believe that in many twisted pair cables the green pair (Green/White, White/Green) has a tighter twist for better noise immunity so should be the one chosen for data use.

Regards

Andrew
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 8:10 pm   #28
andy1702
Retired Dormant Member

That's interesting about the green pair. I hadn't realised that.
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 10:42 pm   #29
Oldcodger
Nonode

Andy - this is a solution I've used successfully for years. It's based on ye ancient telecomms transmission principles, as used in coax systems where power feeding was used ( both valve and transistor stuff ) / submarine systems and PCM systems over copper pair. Anyone who's seen the old Army 1+systems will know the principles.
I've had it confirmed by the technical department of one of BT filter suppliers. I used this successfully chez moi, for years as I thought filters were an unsightly abomination. Extend the line +BB from the BT master (as 2w) to a double socket (separate type, slave) close to the PC, fit a concealed filter -BB O/P to PC, tele O/P to other socket (master). run the rest of the house wiring as plan 1A from this. Apart from getting rid of the unsightly filters, it gets a clean line free from ringing capacitors to the PC. Trouble is that this way of doing things is alien to the monkeys at the BB call centres, who's script calls for filters on all phones.
Old 3rd Aug 2015, 5:54 pm   #30
andy1702
Retired Dormant Member

I agree. I had the BB people telling me to put filters everywhere. It was only on joining this forum I was told it wasn't necessary, then I saw the logic of it and wondered how something so obvious had escaped me for so long. I'm currently in the process of re-wiring the telecoms in the house and am doing something similar to what you have suggested.

Last edited by AC/HL; 3rd Aug 2015 at 7:49 pm. Reason: Repetition of the previous post removed
Old 3rd Aug 2015, 10:10 pm   #31
Grant L
Retired Dormant Member

It worked!
Got the NTE5 - with the ADSL/phone socket front plate - today.
I wired it as Andy suggested in his 31st July post and it worked!
Dialling the GEC 706 did not make the cordless phone even tinkle never mind ring.
A big thank you to Andy and everyone else who volunteered help and advice.
Hopefully this topic will help anyone else who comes across this same ringing problem.

Cheers!
Grant
Old 3rd Aug 2015, 10:24 pm   #32
andy1702
Retired Dormant Member

Good to hear it's working. Now how about joining C*Net so you've got a complete old fashioned (and free!) telephone network to connect to?
Closed Thread