UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2015, 8:29 pm   #41
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with Sony BVM-2011P

Yes, any/all negotiation via PM please. Let us know the final outcome though.
Old 4th Jul 2015, 7:19 am   #42
julie_m
Dekatron

With two monitors, and knowing one of them is a worker and what the fault is on the other, you could even isolate the fault down to one of the swappable cards (or the motherboard), by exchanging one card at a time between the units. Swapping the faulty card will fix the broken monitor and break the working one. Or if no card makes a difference, then the fault must be on the main unit.

My money would be on a faulty CMOS analogue switch IC, probably a 4053 or 4066 quite near to the external sync socket. But get that second monitor and try it. And even if you can't fix the one you've already got, you might be able to sell it as not working with a note as to which of the plug-in cards is faulty -- someone out there with time on their hands and/or circuit diagrams might well consider it an easy enough fix to be worth taking on.
Old 4th Jul 2015, 8:34 pm   #43
HandofIke
Retired Dormant Member

AJS

That sounds like a great idea!

Thanks

PS I have diagrams for the unit and each individual cards....

Cheers
Old 19th Jul 2015, 5:21 pm   #44
crabfists
Retired Dormant Member

@HandofIke Just curious if you got a resolution to your problem? I have just bought a BVM-2011P and I am having the same sync problem.

Would love to know if you managed to sort it out.
Old 19th Jul 2015, 10:50 pm   #45
HurtyAC
Tetrode

Hi, I have worked on the BVM2010 series monitors extensively. The BVM2011 was a cheaper monitor I think if memory serves me correctly had a cheaper PIL tube fitted. The 2010 tube was over £2000 to replace in 1990 and had a resolution of 900 lines. Not bad for an SD monitor. I'll see if I can get my hands on the BVM2011 monitor manual and if so I'll PM you to see if you can bring it over as I'm only just down the road from you. Give me a week first as I work a shift pattern to get back to you
Old 20th Jul 2015, 12:31 am   #46
HandofIke
Retired Dormant Member

Wow!! Thank you so much!!
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 1:10 pm   #47
HurtyAC
Tetrode

Hi All, First of all the BVM2011 is indeed the same as the BVM2010 except it has the electronic control circuitry and control board. The cheaper monitor that looks the same is the BVM2015 which does use a PIL tube and is no were near a match to the 2010/11. Monitor arrived last night for repair so got on to it this morning and indeed no sync, internal or external. First thing to do with these monitors is to check the control board below the control switch board for surface mount electrolytic capacitor leakage. So far this monitor is not showing any signs of this. Next is to check for sync into the sync processing board (BJ), this was absent. Moved on to the video input board (BA). On this particular monitor it is the later BA3 board which uses surface mounted components so differs from the one in the supplied pdf. Checked sync off this board and indeed non present. See pictures. To be continued

Hurty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Control.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	111289   Click image for larger version

Name:	BJ Sync Board.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	111290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Input SyncSep.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	111291   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA3 Input Board.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	111292  
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 2:04 pm   #48
HurtyAC
Tetrode

Hi All, Part two of the repair! So no sync off the input/sync separator board BA3. Video present on transistor Q701's emitter (see attached diagram), and present on Q702's collector but no video present on Q704's collector. After d.c. checks found Q703's was not being biased on and Q704's emitter base junction had 1.1 volts (d.c.) across it forward biased!! These transistors are surface mounted so out with the soldering iron, Q704 replaced and we now have a working sync separator, why use on transistor when you can use 17. Set now up and running after a bit of tweaking, see picture.

Hurty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sync Cct.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	111293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sync Part.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	111294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nice Syncs.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	111295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Picture.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	111296  
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 6:54 pm   #49
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very impressed! Another one saved. Well done.
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 9:29 pm   #50
John123
Heptode

Great work! I'm surprised it wasn't one or more of those dreaded surface mount capacitors, as they always seem to go bad in equipment this age. I guess these ones must be much better quality.
Old 4th Aug 2015, 1:20 pm   #51
HandofIke
Retired Dormant Member

Well as those who are following this thread know, HurtyAC has kindly (and that is a massive understatement) repaired my poorly BVM....

Goes without saying that I am over the moon!! I can't wait to pick the monitor up and start getting things through that beautiful tube!!

Above all I'd like to publicly thank HurtyAC who is a fantastically kind and generous guy, very interesting and knowledgable. I'm so stoked that someone could be so helpful. The guy is a genius in my book!!

I'd also like to thank all those who contributed to this thread, I am most grateful for your time.

Looking forward to getting my BVM home!

Kind regards

Paul
Old 4th Sep 2015, 11:49 pm   #52
HandofIke
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,

Just to follow up and show you the BVM working and looking fantastic here are a couple of videos.

So very pleased with the outcome and so very greatful to HurtyAC for a fantastic job!!!

This is the BVM with a TV output

https://youtu.be/GbG6uc6fl8s

And this is an X-Box 360 showing Akai Katana

https://youtu.be/FzCUxmpxViM

Please note I am playing this game one handed whist holding the camera, I'm not THAT bad at shooters!!
Closed Thread