UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2012, 1:39 pm   #1
bizmark98
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vinyl Cabinet Covering Cleaning

Is there anyway I can remove old paint from a vinyl Roberts Cabinet.

Tried the usual white spirit,brush cleaner and most household cleaners with little effect.

Many thanks

Maurice
Old 1st Apr 2012, 2:10 pm   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Vinyl Cabinet Covering Cleaning

It might be a little too severe on vinyl Maurice, but I generally use the cheap jelly-type paint stripper found in pound shops and the like. It is mild compared to more expensive and better known brands, such as Nitromor, but for radio cabinet work its strength is more or less ideal. Apply with a small artist's brush direct to the paint and leave a minute or so before thoroughly washing off. I would suggest trying on a hidden bit of the vinyl first to see whether it also bleaches the colour, but in my experience I haven't encountered any problems (so far).

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 1st Apr 2012 at 2:17 pm.
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 8:30 am   #3
bizmark98
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks Robert I will certainly give it a try.

The mark is on the back of the cabinet which is a bonus.

Again many thanks for taking the time to reply

Maurice
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 3:27 pm   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

I have found most paint "spots" tend to chip off with a thumbnail or the blade of a new screwdriver (or one which has had the tip recently ground to a nice flat but square “point”). A larger area would be more difficult but I would try a screw driver first, carefully chiselling at the edge of the paint.. Hopefully the chances are that the vinyl would have been dirty and the paint would not have stuck too badly to it.
Mike
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 3:54 pm   #5
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
...I would try a screw driver first, carefully chiselling at the edge of the paint.
Not advisable on many old vinyl type coverings, for example the covering used on the Philips model that I restored here. The vinyl can become so dry and brittle that it tears extremely easily.

I concede that the vinyl used on 'Roberts' models is probably of a superior quality, but one slip with a screwdriver blade and you're looking at a reskin of the case. Safe removal by chemical means, if at all possible, is the preferred route to take IMHO.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 6:28 pm   #6
musonick
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Maurice, I had some success removing old gloss paint from a Dansette lid. I used one of those synthetic scourers (dry) that look a bit like very shiny chain mail (dodgy spelling?) and then buffing with with a bit of silicon polish.

Nick.
Old 11th Apr 2012, 4:22 pm   #7
bizmark98
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for all the advice.

Ive tried all of the above including the paint stripper but have come to the conclusion that I will never remove the shadow left by the paint (if indeed that's what it is).

I'm now beginning to think that it may be a permanent marker of some sort. As it refuses to budge.

So rather than damage the covering I will leave it for now (it's on the back so not to bad).

Pity as all the other vinyl is in pristine condition.

Again many thanks

Maurice
Old 11th Apr 2012, 6:27 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

I used to use old Castrol Girling "Crimson" brake fluid for removing oil-based paint from polystyrene models. Never had any need to try it on vinyl though. The later synthetic brake fluids weren't effective. I don't know if "Crimson" is still available: it continued to be used as a hydraulic fluid in commercial vehicles after it ceased to be recommended for use in the braking systems of private cars.
Closed Thread