UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2016, 9:01 pm   #1
grahamperrin
Triode

Default Collaro RC-1 automatic record changer

When I last used it, probably in the 1980s, it worked fine.

From http://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/changerv.htm for record changers in the war years:

Quote:
… RC-1 push-type mixer changer also had a forerunner of the modern overarm. The entire crossarm hinges up to the rear for loading, taking with it the top half of the spindle. The records are loaded on the half of the spindle that goes up with the crossarm. This changer has the pusher in the spindle, actuated through the crossarm. It shut off after the last record. …
I have a vague recollection of contacting someone from Collaro (maybe someone at Magnavox in the 1970s) and being told that the RC-1 was their first record changer. Whether that's true, I don't know.

The cabinet is peculiar. Viewed from the front, it's a slight parallelogram – not rectangular – so I guess that it was home-made. For around a decade I used it to prop up the end of a bookshelf.

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0HKdH4S7kc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG1f9M-fOqg show a much nicer cabinet that allows a good view of the changer. Listen to the slamming as records are thrown against each other by the sprung arms!

This evening I decided to pull mine out from under the shelf and take a few photographs. Please ignore the Hawaiian shirt in the background, the stylii strewn around the felt corners … and the dust! If I ever tidy the spare room, I might take photos or videos of the underside of the changer. The engineering, as I recall it, was marvellous. There's another photograph of an RC-1 at https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...61&postcount=4 thanks to record-changer.

Around forty years ago, the record that I most enjoyed listening to on this player was a 1948 recording of By The Sleepy Lagoon by The Melachrino Strings …
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160728_184805.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	127921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160728_184709.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	127922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160728_184751.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	127923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160728_184650.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	127924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160728_184657.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	127925  

Old 28th Jul 2016, 11:25 pm   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: Collaro RC-1 automatic record changer

I imagine that wasn't cheap when it was new. I bet the mechanism is nightmarishly complicated. It has to be the oldest Collaro I've seen. There can't be many of those left.

Regards,
Paul
Old 29th Jul 2016, 12:34 pm   #3
wd40addict
Octode

Don't forget the slot player as another example of Collaro wackiness!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=41637
Old 29th Jul 2016, 2:03 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

The ingenuity of early autochanger designers never fails to amaze me.
Old 29th Jul 2016, 2:33 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's a brave Man that takes this on - a Collaro "Conquest" normally is just about taxing enough for me! Edward
Old 29th Jul 2016, 5:45 pm   #6
grahamperrin
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
Don't forget the slot player as another example of Collaro wackiness!
Yeah, whilst seeking patents (or patent applications) for the RC-1 I found a 1930s slot-loading talking machine. One of a number of talking machine-related patent applications, if I recall correctly …
Old 29th Jul 2016, 5:56 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

This record changer brings back some very distant and early childhood memories.

As a child I remember being take to visit one of my many uncles on my fathers side. In the corner of the front room of his Hertfordshire council house was a large, dark wood radiogram. I remember it was a big old wide and square sectioned thing (although things often seemed much bigger when you were a small child). Being obsessed with such things as a child, I just had to go and lift the lid to look inside. I well remember the record deck with that 'gantry' arrangement over the turntable, I'd never seen anything like it before. I was told that the record player part no longer worked due to the pickup arm being broken. The story from my aunt was that one of my much older 'teddy boy' cousins had thrown a party and that a group of 'drunks' had fallen on it as it played (probably 50s rock and roll) and broken the arm.

I never knew what became of that radiogram or what make it was, but it could have been something like an RGD. I'll have to try and do a bit of research sometime and see if I can identify what make and model it was.
Old 30th Jul 2016, 11:04 am   #8
grahamperrin
Triode

Techman, that's an entertaining story about your cousin. Whoever fell on it must have been extremely drunk; the bridge across the turntable is strong enough to break the fall of a small horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitaudio View Post
… I bet the mechanism is nightmarishly complicated. …
I found records of the British patents.

Name:	British patents.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	127995

In order of appearance on the plate:
From HOLSTENSSON v. WEBCOR, INC., (N.D.Ill. 1957), 150 F. Supp. 441 (N.D. Ill. 1957) | Casetext:

Quote:
10. The British Patent to Collaro No. 460,501 and the British Patent to Compare, No. 454,106, both illustrate bulky and complex record changer structures employing an overhead bridge structure from which a record supporting post hangs down. …

12. British Patent to Compare No. 454,106 is the same invention as that described in the corresponding Compare United States Patent No. 2,090,746 …
Patent US2090746 - Automatic record changer for phonographs - Google Patents
Old 31st Jul 2016, 12:27 am   #9
RojDW48
Nonode

Nice work Graham - that makes fascinating reading! Roger
Old 31st Jul 2016, 2:25 pm   #10
grahamperrin
Triode

From US2090746:

Name:	Figure 11.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	128050

Quote:
The sleeve 107 driven by the motor 103, as above described, is provided with a worm wheel 120 which engages with a pinion 121 loosely mounted on a main control shaft 122 which is rotatably mounted in brackets 123 on the upper side of the motor board 100. At the appropriate time, this pinion 121 is adapted to be coupled up to the main control shaft 122 so as to drive the same, and for this purpose the pinion 121 is provided at one end with a ratchet wheel 124 and on the control shaft 122 is fixed a collar 125 having mounted thereon a spring-controlled pawl 126, the spring 127 of which functions normally toy keep the pawl 126 in engagement with the ratchet 124 so that the control shaft 122 is driven. This pawl is, however, provided with a curved extending arm 128 which, at a certain point, is adapted to pass through an aperture 129 in the motor board 100 so that its outer curved surface bears upon the upper face of an arm 131 (hereinafter termed “the release arm”) pivoted at 132 on the underside of the motor board 100. When the extended arm 128 of the pawl 126 bears upon the upper face of the release arm 131 further movement of the arm 128 is prevented (see the upper view in Figure 21) but the collar 125 continues its movement slightly and so rocks the pawl arm 126 and dísengages the pawl from the ratchet 124. When the pawl 126 is disengaged from the ratchet 124, the whole of the mechanism is at rest, the motor 103 merely driving the pinion 121 idly on the main control shaft 122.
The most enjoyable part of being hands-on, with the changer removed from its cabinet, was the automation that began when the end of a record was reached. The relevant part of the patent is verbose, but words can't convey the smoothness with which the parts of the machine come together.

A portable

I stumbled across this, from GB494881 (A) - Improvements in or relating to gramophone record playing units (1938):

Name:	espacenetImage.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	128056

I wonder whether any were made and sold …

Last edited by grahamperrin; 31st Jul 2016 at 2:30 pm.
Closed Thread