UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2013, 9:35 am   #1
Kode909
Retired Dormant Member

Default Replace Dansette Tempo power cord

Hey,

This is probably a very easy question to answer so apologies but I haven't managed to find the answer online.

I want to replace the power cord on my Dansette tempo to a 3 metre fabric cord, the player is in the middle of the room with with no plugs nearby and I currently have an ugly extension cord, a fabric cable will look nice and vintage.

My question is what rating cable do I need? I know I need two core as the unit is not earthed, I cant find any that fit the bill. The following website has 3 core lighting cable that looks OK, is 8.5amps enough rating?

http://fabriccable.co.uk/product/navy-blue-3-core-non-twisted-per-metre

Also can I use 3 core cable and not connect the earth?

Thanks for you help and sorry if this is an obvious question, I dont want to fry myself!

Thanks,

Matt
Old 28th Sep 2013, 10:03 am   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Replace Dansette power cord

Hi,
The average record player consumes something like 50watts or so, so a lead rated at 2 or 3 amps will be sufficient. A cable rated at 8.5 amps could carry just under two kilowatts!
Check to see if the record player has a live chassis or not, as if so, it can't be earthed easily. There's plenty of discussion about this on here.
Cheers, Pete
Old 28th Sep 2013, 10:27 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Replace Dansette power cord

I rarely buy mains cable or plugs. I have a big bag of leads that I've cut off vacuum cleaners and other domestic appliances. I check for continuity and do other tests obviously before use. This saves money and re-cycles at the same time.

Cloth covered leads look OK, but aren't as flexible and can be prone to "kinking". You can use a 3 core lead and not attach the earth, but if you wire the earth lead in the plug, then not attach the other end- this could be confusing for someone should you sell it in the future.

Andy.
Old 28th Sep 2013, 4:36 pm   #4
Kode909
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the quick responses, great advice. Keep up the good work.
Old 28th Sep 2013, 7:57 pm   #5
david freeman
Hexode

The Dansette Tempo uses an EL84 and isn't a live chassis design.
Closed Thread