UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 11:39 pm   #1
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Local dialling codes from Whitby (North Yorks)

I'm researching the local dialling codes for this part of the World. I know the local codes from Whitby (which was a 'Group Switching Centre' with the old STD code of 0947 - or 0WH7 in the early days of Subscriber Trunk Dialling). The codes I'm looking for are those to adjacent Group Switching Centres - such as Pickering, Scarborough and possibly Guisborough to the North . These local codes usually began with a '9' as STD didn't allow you to dial an STD code followed by a '9 ........ ' It was a way to prevent ways of making cheaper calls. A scan of the local dialling code page of an STD code book of the area /old dialling code card from any of the exchanges in the area should help and would be appreciated. Local dialling codes were 'moved' from the old STD codebooks produced fore ach exchange to the front of the telephone directory - whoops ! I mean 'The Phone Book' which was the old telephone directory renamed and revamped to include the local dialling codes. This started in mid-1984 and took over a year for all to appear.

Hoping someone can help

Ian J
Old 4th Jul 2015, 9:32 am   #2
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Local dialling codes from Whitby (North Yorks)

I seem to recall many local codes began with a 9 followed by the number without an additional code? For example to call Stockton 6**** would be 0642 6**** outside the local area yet would be 9 6**** when calling from Sedgefield. I think it was the same when calling a Newcastle (0632) number from North Shields/Tynemouth (08945).

When Tyneside/Washington and Wearside changed to 091 7-figure numbers in the '80s, one had to dial 90 for a Sunderland number when phoning from Newcastle or Washington and vice versa despite the national code being the same. Thankfully this was phased out when Durham was added to the 091 area.

Brian

Last edited by Focus Diode; 4th Jul 2015 at 9:38 am.
Old 4th Jul 2015, 9:49 am   #3
Nicklyons2
Octode

Yes 9 series numbers were common in the local codes as this from my area shows. Sorry Ian I've nothing further East in code booklets than Normanton exchange I fear although I've an ancient Hull directory somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xch Normanton 1971.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	110301  
Old 6th Jul 2015, 10:35 am   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
I seem to recall many local codes began with a 9 followed by the number without an additional code? For example to call Stockton 6**** would be 0642 6**** outside the local area yet would be 9 6**** when calling from Sedgefield. I think it was the same when calling a Newcastle (0632) number from North Shields/Tynemouth (08945).

When Tyneside/Washington and Wearside changed to 091 7-figure numbers in the '80s, one had to dial 90 for a Sunderland number when phoning from Newcastle or Washington and vice versa despite the national code being the same. Thankfully this was phased out when Durham was added to the 091 area.
A lot depends upon the date you are talking about. I'll try and give an example of how numbering was set up and changed with time from around the introduction of STD. Local codes often changed with the introduction of STD. Middlesborough is a good example. The UK was 'carved' up into a number of 'charge groups' - each with its own three digit STD code (ignoring the '0' STD access digit). There were exceptions like the 'Director area -London, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool & Manchester each of which was its own 'Charge group'. All calls within a charge group and those to adjacent groups were charged at the local rate (There were some exceptions - usually were there was a mountain range or river estuary). Each charge group had a 'main' exchange - the group switching centre GSC - through which calls to the area were routed. In our case it was Middlesborough exchange with the STD code 0642.In some areas there were other exchanges linked to the GSC in such a way that no code was required between the GSC and possibly other exchanges in the area. These were known as 'Linked Numbering Schemes' LNS or Non-Director Areas (as opposed to the 'Director Areas'). In Middlesborough's case these exchanges were originally preSTD - Haverton Hill*, Linthorpe*, Marton*, Norton#, Southbank and Stockton-On-Tees. Lines on those marked * took the name 'Middlesborough' whilst those on Norton had 'Stockton-on-Tees' as their exchange in the directory. There was no code needed between and lines on all those exchanges. The smaller exchanges off Middlesborough in the pre-STD era were
73 Wolviston
74 Normanby
75 Eston Grange
78 Hartburn

Southbank lines became Eston Grange numbers in 1965.

Then in STD days – these exchanges were moved into a separate change group – the STD code 0649 replacing the 7 in the local code.
73 Redcar (0649 3) - moved into Middesborough LNS as 0642 xxxxxx in 1979
74 Normanby - lines onto Eston Grange in 1962
740 Minerva 1969 to 1972 - lines moved onto Hartburn (0649 40)
741 Dovecot 1967 to 1972 - lines moved onto Stockton-on-Tees (0649 41)
742 Hartburn(Stockton-on-Tees) to 1972 - lines onto Stockton-on-Tees (0649 42)
743 Stokesley (0649 43) To Middlesborough LNS 0642 xxxxxx in 1971
745 Great Ayton (0649 5) To Middlesborough LNS 0642 xxxxxx by 1980
746 Hutton Rudby (0649 6) To LNS 0642 xxxxxx as Stokesley numbers in 1981
747 Hilton-in-Cleveland (0647 47) To LNS as Middlesborough numbers in 1972
75 Eston Grange (0649 5) To LNS 0642 xxxxxx by 1980
77 Wainstones (0649 7) 1961 to 1981 then lines moved into Stokesley.
78 Eaglescliff (0649 8) Moved into Middlesborough LNS with 6 digit numbers in 1970
Before moving into the LNS, all the above would dial '9' to reach Middlesborough, Stockton-on-Tees or Southbank. To reach ther exchanges they dialled 9 + the local code from Middlesborough.

There were other local charge groups off Middlesborough such as the 0740 X group were the local code was 93X from Middlesborough – still charged as local calls to/from Middlesborough.
932 xxx Sedgefield (0740 2) to LNS 0740 xxxxx by /83
934 Wolviston (0740 4) to LNS by /83
935 xxx Ferryhill /(0740 5) to LNS 0740 xxxxx 1972
937 xxx Old Acres - relief to Sedgfield 21/12/1970 to 1976 then lines onto Sedgefield

There could also be local routes direct off the GSC where the STD code was that of the GSC plus the local code i.e. Mold was 0352 whilst the exchanges dependant on Mold were -
80 Coed Talon
81 Holywell
82 Caerwys
83 Hendre
84 Pantymwyn
85 Llanferres
86 Northop
87 xxx Pontybodkin
88 xxx Halkyn
89 Winefride
The STD codes for all the above were all 0352 XX - XX being the local code off Mold. Note there were odd exceptions to all he above but it was the main pattern.
Hopefully it helps? There is much yet to be documented but it is finding the information which BT Archives haven't got - hence appeal for scans of old codecards/local code pages of old STD code books. If I can help you out with your local codes PM me. Most of these codes are being set up on CNet such that we can dial them with our old phones. Are you connected? PM me for more info as I administer the network - no line rental or call charges!

Ian
Old 6th Jul 2015, 10:39 am   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 View Post
Yes 9 series numbers were common in the local codes as this from my area shows. Sorry Ian I've nothing further East in code booklets than Normanton exchange I fear although I've an ancient Hull directory somewhere.
Thanks for the scan - info has been added to that which I have built up over the years. I'm lucky enough to have acquired a copy of the first edition of the Hull Corporation STD Code book when STD was introduced there in 1964. My STD codebooks run well into three figures gathered over the years. My oldest has only one page of STD codes in it!

Ian
Old 6th Jul 2015, 3:24 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
....Most of these codes are being set up on CNet such that we can dial them with our old phones. Are you connected? PM me for more info as I administer the network - no line rental or call charges!
Hi,

Slightly OT for this thread but I am a CNet user and have to say that Ian has been very helpful both via e-mail and on voice calls over the CNet network when I was setting up my "exchange" and also when any problems occurred.

I'm not that far from Whitby myself and might have extended relatives (or their friends) who may be able to assist with some of the codes, so I'll make some enquiries.

Regards

Andrew
Old 7th Jul 2015, 9:59 am   #7
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Thanks for the kind words! Not that far off OT as all the known local codes off Whitby (0947) are set up on CNet including the little known codes to Aidensfield (88), Ashfordly (71) and Elsinby (72) .
As a matter of interest, the exchanges off Whitby were mainly smaller rural UAX13s with three digit numbers who dialed the usual '9' to reach Whitby - their Group Switching Centre through which all the calls to other exchanges were routed . However, in the early 1980's, these UAX13's were converted to five digit numbering and moved into a 'Linked Numbering Scheme' where there was no need to dial the '9' for Whitby followed by the local code for the other exchange. The first two digits of the five digit number routed the call out from Whitby (unless the call was for your own exchange). In this case the former local code was added to become part of the subs number - i.e. Grosmont whose local was 85 was added to the Grosmont exchange numbers which became 85XXX.At the same time the subs became 'Whitby' numbers rather than 'Grosmont' numbers.

These racks were probably the last racks manufactured for Strowger exchanges. The last exchange using these racks was Grosmont - I'll leave you to guess who recovered these two racks? When I contacted BT about acquiring the racks, I was told someone would contact me. Then one evening I received a call to be told I could have them, the caller was enthusiastic about Strowger being preserved and chatted on for nearly an hour about exchanges. It was later on I discovered he was the Regional Director for the NE Region so I was told!

Ian
Closed Thread