UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 4:13 pm   #1
mole42uk
Nonode

Default 2N4955 operation characteristics?

I'm working with a lin/log converter which uses a 2N4955 or BFX10 dual NPN transistor. The two are connected as seperate diodes (b shorted to c) and I wonder if the only reason for using a dual transistor is for temperature matching.

If this is the case, could I expect a similar performance by strapping two ordinary transistors together with heat transfer paste between them?

Or could I just use a couple of diodes similarly strapped together?

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 4:45 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: 2N4955 operation characteristics?

I suspect other parameters might also be better matched in a dual device than in two singles.

If you played around to get best VF match in a pair over a range of currents, strapping a pair thermally might not be too bad.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 4:47 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

The match is in temperature, diffusion temperatures and times, all sorts of things. If dual bipolars are hard to find, the much better monolithic 'supermatch' pairs from Analog devices and natsemi may be easier to find

Also analog devices do some good log/antilog converters.

David
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 6:42 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

There is also the CA3046, which is a 14-pin package with five matched transistors in thermal contact, two of which have their emitters joined together. It's obviously meant for building a custom op-amp, as another emitter is joined to the substrate and must be more negative than any other pin; those three would form the input, with the commoned-up transistors as the differential amp and the bottom one as a constant-current sink for the long tail, and the remaining two either as two single-ended stages or a further differential stage. But there's no reason to connect all five transistors, as long as pin 13 is tied negative (otherwise, weird effects can occur) .....
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 9:54 pm   #5
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I junked an old HP dual timebase, and that had quite a few 6 leg dual NPNs (and probably some PNPs as well).
I could dig a couple out if you are stuck.
Les.
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 8:15 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

The common HP-used NPN dual transistor was 1854-0221 usually marked 4-221 individual transistor behaviour was close to 2N3904, but I can't remember the common PNP dual, 1853-0075? these are what you'll find later on in the scopes. They used matched but separate JFETS mounted in S-clips at the front-end of many.

David
Old 4th Jul 2015, 8:09 pm   #7
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

David, I found these 6 leg duals in my junk board. (1821 T/B, maybe also a Y-amp from same mainframe.
3-075, presumably pnp dual
4-280, presumably npn dual
4-295, presumably npn dual
4-357, presumably npn dual
I have an old copy of the HP / jedec equivalents, but these appear to be studiously ignored.
Do you know the individual equivalent single versions?
Les.
Closed Thread