UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2017, 12:17 am   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Marconi test equip.: mains toggle switches

Specifically the orientation of such switches. I cannot recall any item of Marconi test equipment I've ever seen, manufactured from the 1950s until the mid 1980s (both dates approx.), in which the mains on/off toggle switch has not been fitted with the toggle orientated for 'down = on', 'up = off'. They have always been the other way round - which, of course, is the USA-style. So do I deduce from that that such equipment was either designed in the USA or was manufactured with the USA as the primary market for such products?

I don't need to know: just curious.

(Aside: I appreciate the logic of the USA 'method'. If something falls under the attraction of gravity and hits the toggle when the item switched on, that item will then be switched off.)

Al.
Old 12th Nov 2017, 2:37 am   #2
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Marconi test equip.: mains toggle switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
(Aside: I appreciate the logic of the USA 'method'. If something falls under the attraction of gravity and hits the toggle when the item switched on, that item will then be switched off.)
Try telling that to an electrician - they just don't seem to be able to get their heads around it - at least the ones I've spoken to - it's not how it's done according to the Standards/Regs is the pat reply.

As to the first part of the post, I have no idea (maybe someone thumbing their nose at convention?).
Old 12th Nov 2017, 9:25 am   #3
Dickie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
.......such equipment was either designed in the USA or was manufactured with the USA as the primary market for such products?
No, certainly not! 95% of all Marconi Instruments products were designed and manufactured in the UK. Who knows why that became the standard orientation, but although the US was an important market, MI sold around the world so needed to consider all areas. The US had its own manufacturers (eg HP, Boonton, etc) so maybe it would have been a good excuse not to buy MI products if the orientation was the other way up.

Other parts of the Marconi empire made test equipment in small quantities to support their radar and military comms. products, but I don't think that's what you are referring to.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 12th Nov 2017, 11:23 am   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Two posts deleted, please keep on topic
Old 12th Nov 2017, 11:31 am   #5
beamcurrent
Heptode

A quick look at the Marconi kit, both test and broadcast confirms that up is the on position.! I have a lot of Marconi equipment in the collection.

I always understood the logic for this was, if the switch was accidentally knocked, it was safer to have the on in the up position as this is less likely to be knocked to the up position. Or some such argument.

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 14th Nov 2017, 11:35 pm   #6
Andrewausfa
Octode

One of their best selling products, the 995 series signal generators, has up is OFF. I mention that as in the Marconi Instrumentation magazines there are a few references as to 995s being used in the U.S. The TF144H series produced broadly at the same time are down is OFF.

Andrew
Closed Thread