UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2017, 9:15 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: CAPS - how to change to lower case

Caps lock did have uses in commercial data entry where operators would be typing combinations of uppercase text and numbers, and the software was too feeble to handle any necessary case conversion. This data entry convention evolved from 1960s computing, where a restricted character set was stored in 5 or 6 byte values and it was safer to type in uppercase even if lowercase was available at the terminal.

It's been mostly just a nuisance since about 1990 though.
Old 16th Aug 2017, 12:18 pm   #22
johnny
Retired Dormant Member

Some keyboards don't have a caps lock led and this makes it even harder when one has to type passwords which are all "stars" as you type. This keyboard I am using is such a one , although smaller than a normal keyboard. Another issue is when one loses sensations in the fingers which can cause mis-spelt words. Another issue is that as one gets older, one can mis-spell words, without knowing it, until the text is checked.
Old 19th Aug 2017, 11:04 pm   #23
Tim
Dekatron

Thanks. Good tips here. I have often wondered this as (for some unknown reason)SWMBO leaves caps lock ON by default, and turns it off to type "normally".
Whenever I come along to use the computer I have typed half the web address or whatever before I realise.
If this case changer didn't exist I have been willed to invent it a few times!
Old 20th Aug 2017, 10:59 am   #24
Skywave
Rest in Peace

I use a little program called KeyTweak: very easy to use. It's available on the 'Net. Using it, you can re-map certain keys, including disabling certain keys. On this PC, I have disabled caps lock. When I do need a capital letter, I simply hold down a shift key. The requirement of several capital letters in succession is so rare that holding down a shift key with one finger of one hand and typing the required letters with fingers of the other is not a relative inconvenience.

Al.
Old 20th Aug 2017, 2:06 pm   #25
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Whenever I come along to use the computer I have typed half the web address or whatever before I realise.
I didn't think URL's were case sensitive.

Frank
Old 20th Aug 2017, 6:02 pm   #26
bluepilot
Heptode

The domain name part (e.g. http://www.vintage-radio.net) isn't. However what comes afterwards is because it relates to the names of directories and files on the target computer. These are generally some sort of UNIX where case is important. So http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum is OK, HTTP://WWW.VINTAGE-RADIO.NET/forum is also OK but http://www.vintage-radio.net/Forum will result in a 404 error. (Try it and see).

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 1:05 pm   #27
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Thanks for that Stuart, unless I copy a link I usually go to the home page so never noticed. Makes sense now I think about it.

Frank
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 2:01 pm   #28
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Some keyboards don't have a caps lock led and this makes it even harder when one has to type passwords which are all "stars" as you type. This keyboard I am using is such a one , although smaller than a normal keyboard. Another issue is when one loses sensations in the fingers which can cause mis-spelt words. Another issue is that as one gets older, one can mis-spell words, without knowing it, until the text is checked.
I call it age related dyslexia ( no scorn on those with this affliction) , where I can tell fingers to type letters in an order, but fingers have mind of their own. This is where a mind comes into play as spell checker ( or spell chequer) decides the various options.
One thing I find endearing on my ( possibly now looked on as antique ) Windows Lumia Brick is the facility to see passwords on screen as they are typed.
Closed Thread