UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2011, 12:40 pm   #1
motownmanic
Retired Dormant Member

Question Dansette Major decks?

Hi, can anyone tell me how many different decks the Dansette Major was originally fitted with?

I know about the UA8 and UA14, but I've seen them with a UA15 and, just recently, a Garrard. Are the latter two just replacement decks or not?

Any help much appreciated.
Old 20th Nov 2011, 1:17 pm   #2
motownmanic
Retired Dormant Member

Question Re: Dansette Major decks?

Also while I'm on the subject, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a UA15 and a UA16 apart from the colour?
Old 20th Nov 2011, 2:54 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Major decks?

The UA16 has a taller centre spindle, allowing a few more records to be stacked, and the arm mountings at the rear are higher, for the same reason.

Barry
Old 20th Nov 2011, 3:03 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

I have seen them fitted with a UA10, which only seems to have had a brief life, but I think the UA15 would be a bit late for a Major, and I've never seen one fitted with a Garrard, although Dansette did use them in various other models.

Barry
Old 20th Nov 2011, 11:45 pm   #5
david freeman
Hexode

The Dansette Major was fitted with a BSR UA8 and then a UA14 changer. The Major Deluxe 21 model was fitted with these decks and also a UA15/16 in its last year as it continued in production after the original Major. Neither model was ever fitted with a Garrard changer, although certain Dansettes did have Garrard decks- Celebrity/Conquest non-auto,Tempo,HiFi and the later Regina, Prince and Oxford models to name several.
Old 21st Nov 2011, 1:03 am   #6
motownmanic
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info guys I knew I could rely on you.
Closed Thread