UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2005, 8:53 pm   #1
geoff Andrews
Retired Dormant Member

Default GE BRT 400 Receiver

I have just aquired myself a BRT400 complete with operating hand book.
First thing I did was to check out all the voltages and supprise, supprise an almost totaly different valve line up from manual. This has been done either in manufacture or a major re-build. Valve line up 6BA6's 6BE6 6AM5 6AT6 6AM6. Can anyone tell me please what I have and if there is a schematic any where for this receiver?
Geoff.
Old 11th Nov 2005, 9:47 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: GE BRT 400 Receiver

Hi Geoff, I've been promised one of these sets next month so I can give you some details then. I do have a manual at present. This is RCH.1001/8 and has the valves listed as : W81, X81, N77, DH81, D63, KT81, Z77, S130, U52, (multiples of some types).

The manual runs to 40 or so pages, your valve numbers seem to be about equivalents. PM me and I'll see if I can get you a scan of the circuit.

Best regards, Ed
Old 11th Nov 2005, 10:24 pm   #3
geoff Andrews
Retired Dormant Member

HI Ed, thanks for reply and offer of CCT. The valve line up you mentioned is as my manual, it's just the RX itself that differes! Receiver goes very well and I am pleased with mine, hope you enjoy yours

Regards
Geoff
Old 11th Nov 2005, 10:31 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Geoff,

there are two basic versions of the BRT400, one with Loctal valves (which you have the manual for), and one with minature valves, which you have.

The loctal valve version has problems, mainly with stability, which was cured in the later version - we had both at work, and the earlier versions were generally hated!

They are, when in good order, a nice receiver, and easy to use. The filtering is good enough for CW work, and they will resolve SSB. They also look good with the chrome trim and large "slide rule" dial.

Best of luck with the repairs

Jim.
Old 14th Nov 2005, 1:48 pm   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I've got one of these, a BRT402, with miniature valves. It was a good receiver until the final IF transformer went s/c primary to secondary. It's a multi tapped complicated affair for variable selectivity so it's not going to be easy to find a replacement. It's been on the "to do" pile for about 15 years now, so it's not looking good for a repair!

Biggles.
Closed Thread