UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2014, 8:47 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default STR18 Tx

Does anyone have a copy of just the STR18 Tx Unit Circuit Diagram please. I understand that the whole AP is in the VMARS Archive. I'm enquiring on behalf of a vintage radio chum up here who is a VMARS member, but he says there isn't a proper circuit diagram in VMARS' AP. He's just back from Hack Green's sale and eager to get stuck into his purchase, (With my help - but I haven't touched an STR18 Tx since 1965 !).

Regards, David
Old 25th Oct 2014, 7:06 pm   #2
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: STR18 Tx

David,

if that's the T4188 then yes I do have a copy of the schematic - see attached.

Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T4188_schematic.pdf (269.8 KB, 250 views)
Old 26th Oct 2014, 11:45 am   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

Thank you Richard for the pdf.
'Fraid I cant remember the individual designation for the STR18's Tx unit. The whole aircraft installation was a thumping great rack system :- PSU, Rx, Tx & ATU with a heavy loom of interconnectors terminating in big Plessey-like connectors. I only ever was acquainted with them whilst training at RAF Cosford as a young teenage airman. Thank God I never had to work on them in real life. STR18 replaced the old 1154/1155 in the 50's, and was itself replaced by Collins 618 in the late 60's.
I know of only one other Forum contributor - Olly Holbrook, who was planning to rebuild a complete STR18, but I haven't been able to contact him.

Regards, David
Old 26th Oct 2014, 8:18 pm   #4
trh01uk
Octode

David,

its not a system I am familiar with - except for seeing bits of it for sale here and there. Lots of people have bits of it, but the racks I have never seen. I only have a few sheets relating to it - though I am sure a manual will be kicking about somewhere.

Here's a picture of the system, which may jog your memory. As I recall it has an autotune system, which arrived about a generation after the Americans managed it with their ART-13.

Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf STR18-C.pdf (337.3 KB, 211 views)
Old 27th Oct 2014, 9:22 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks Richard for the picture. Yes, it brought back memories of my times in training. 1965 was the last time I saw one of these. Thumping great coils in the ATU, I remember.
I think most folk in the vintage radio fraternity have avoided these beasts - due to their sheer size. Also, 1154/1155 has a lot more chrasima about it due to it's association with the Lancaster Bombers.
Some guys in VMARS have had a big Collins618 project going. Good luck to them.

Regards, David
Old 28th Oct 2014, 11:51 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
Also, 1154/1155 has a lot more chrasima about it due to it's association with the Lancaster Bombers.
Love it! It sort of fits the 1154/1155 just so
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Oct 2014, 9:06 pm   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

Moderators, this thread can be closed now. Circuit diagram just the ticket.

Thanks, David
Closed Thread